Forums are back in action! ×

Just joined up and coming in to introduce myself.  

The main reason I am here is that I have absolutely no idea what to do in a gym or outside of it.  I don't know how to get started.  I've tried gym memberships before and quit, mainly because I saw next to no improvement and had no idea what I was doing.  I got a personal trainer at one point, it was ridiculously expensive and he quit working there a month after I started with him.  They replaced him with someone else who insisted that the other guy didn't know what he was doing and started me doing something completely different.  I tried to keep up with the boot camp style workouts he wanted me to do, but with my schedule it just isn't possible to spend an hour and a half in the gym every day.  I ended up quitting in frustration.  Last year my wife and I did the Atkins diets for about 7 months and were very successful -- I lost almost 30 pounds, and my wife lost more than that, but over time bad habits crept back in.  I have realized that I need people to hold me accountable and to help me get fit and in shape.

I am married with two kids, I work as a teacher and in the US Coast Guard Reserve.  I got through boot camp ok, but I struggle all the time with my weight and with being out of shape.  Quite frankly I'm embarrassed by my overall lack of fitness, especially compared to my buddies in my unit.  I'm not in terrible shape -- I can run a mile and a half in about 12 minutes or so without stopping, do 35 pushups in a minute and about 36 situps, and do a 21 sit and reach.  I know none of that is anything to brag about, but I want you to know about where I'm at.  My goal is to be able to do the Tough Mudder event November 2 in Charlotte North Carolina.  I actually like working out when I feel like I'm making progress, but getting started is really hard and sticking with it is harder, especially since I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.  My upper body strength is really lacking and I would like to improve that in a big way.  I welcome any and all advice.

My goals are currently to do the following:

1. Do the beginner fitness workout 3 times a week, 2 sets without stopping.

2. Begin to transition to a paleo/Atkins diet.

3. Stop drinking sodas for the next six weeks.

4. Run at least a mile and a half 3 days a week.  

I have two long term goals -- do the Warrior Dash at the end of September and Tough Mudder in November.  I have a long way to go, but every time I see videos of people doing those runs, I can't help but think, "Man, I want to do THAT."  

Level 3 Male Half-Elven RangerSTR:5 DEX:6 STA:8 CON:8 WIS:6 CHA:6

Current Challenge

Welcome and good luck!

I did the expensive PT as well. The guy wasnt really interested but it was a place to start. Ive given up on diets and decided to make life choices instead. Alot of what I have read in the articles here is keeping me motivated. Its geat reading how everyone is going. Even the slip ups. Im here for the accountability as well. Something different as what I was doing was goi g nowhere. My Tough Mudder is in Aug. Not far away.

R.

Human. Adventurer. Level 1. STR6 STA2.25 DEX4.5 CON5.75 WIS3 CHA2

Awesome!  Which one are you doing?  

There are different ones?! Thats just plain scary :pride:

I live in Australia, They have had a couple through the state but the one I am attending will be held on the Sunshine Coast. 3 hrs drive from my home town.

I am woefully prepared. Im looking at it as a base test and then Im going to do it again in 2014. Im scared to death but Im going to do it even if it kills me.

Human. Adventurer. Level 1. STR6 STA2.25 DEX4.5 CON5.75 WIS3 CHA2

Archived