Forums are back in action! ×

Paleo and IBS

Hey Guys

Time to talk poop! (in a way)

Does anyone have any experience in going Paleo, but also suffering from IBS? like many IBS suffers, my main triggers are all in vegetables (especially onions like most people) as they are loaded with fiber!

I'm actually not mad keen to go strictly paleo, but I AM looking to lose weight, and following some principles of paleo by eating mainly meats and veg is a great way for me to cut out the foods that are keeping me fat (like bread and cheese - bread is really just a delivery vehicle for cheese IMHO)

I've tried FODMAP safe veg and so far it's not been too bad, but having limited experience with eating vegetables (because they make me poop) I am not sure whats safe and what is not.

What is everyones experience with switching to this kind of diet with IBS or similar conditions?

Something im eating is giving me some issues but mostly im much better than I used to be. I think its either the immense amount of raw carrots, the non paleo protein powder, the peanut butter that I have for cheats or the greek yogurt which is the only dairy i consume.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Have you tried calorie counting instead? Going paleo seems to be the first choice of many people round here, but it's not for everyone for a variety of reasons.  I've had really good results through using My Fitness Pal to track my calories ane exercise, and while it's difficult to be precise about calorie counting, I've lost 60lbs+ in the last year and am now fairly close to my goal weight.  I don't have IBS, but I do have a gut disease (in remission at the moment) which can be similarly picky about larges quantities of fibre....

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

I am the oddball IBS person. I can't do any preservatives or fried foods. I can do vegetables which is odd since I sometimes binge on brussel sprouts, cabbage, or collards. My intestines are special. 

If you have a really bad problem, I was told to do the BRAT diet for a week which is just bananas, rice, unsweetened plain applesauce, and toast which I randomly have to do every few months (omg it sucks). I am trying out myfitnesspal, but I have also been doing the clean eat diet by Tosca Reno which I am finding makes my body so much happier for some odd reason. Don't get me wrong, I still have problems. 

Also, have you tried probiotics? My dad said that they worked wonders for him. *shrug* 

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

Have you tried calorie counting instead? Going paleo seems to be the first choice of many people round here, but it's not for everyone for a variety of reasons.  I've had really good results through using My Fitness Pal to track my calories ane exercise, and while it's difficult to be precise about calorie counting, I've lost 60lbs+ in the last year and am now fairly close to my goal weight.  I don't have IBS, but I do have a gut disease (in remission at the moment) which can be similarly picky about larges quantities of fibre....

Hey!

Yes! I actually started out about 4 weeks ago on my fitness pal (having previously tried it before) but I found that just by counting calories, I wasnt really losing any weight. I'd still be eating Pasta, bread, cheese within the calorie limits (aiming for net 1500 a day) so that even if i didnt over eat, i wasnt eating anything particularly healthy. If I could run for 20 minutes to win back a cookie, I'd do it!

I have a very active exercise pattern (around 40 minutes running a day or cycling, plus martial arts on top and body weight exercises) so with counting calories I was starting to get really weary with my reduced energy intake!

I'm definitely not sold on the paleo life style, but i like that if you try to follow it, you have to make a conscious effort to make healthy choices too!

I am the oddball IBS person. I can't do any preservatives or fried foods. I can do vegetables which is odd since I sometimes binge on brussel sprouts, cabbage, or collards. My intestines are special. 

If you have a really bad problem, I was told to do the BRAT diet for a week which is just bananas, rice, unsweetened plain applesauce, and toast which I randomly have to do every few months (omg it sucks). I am trying out myfitnesspal, but I have also been doing the clean eat diet by Tosca Reno which I am finding makes my body so much happier for some odd reason. Don't get me wrong, I still have problems. 

Also, have you tried probiotics? My dad said that they worked wonders for him. *shrug* 

I took probiotics for ages! As well as being on treatment with anti depressants for the IBS. Those worked but I could still get set off by trigger foods! When i first started with IBS i was in the bathroom 8 to 10 times a morning, and those really helped. But now I am more level it just seems to be food that sets me off.

Sprouts and cabbage is hardcore for an IBS person though! :)