Forums are back in action! ×

Ola! *Fresh Meat*

Hokai..

Here's the wonderful (slightly exaggerated) life of moi..

I'm pretty new to the site (as you can see), but been getting the weekly emails for a while, which have inspired me to keep going.

When I was younger, I used to be into sports; I did gymnastics and trampolining, I did speed swimming (to county level), synchronised swimming (to national level) and judo (to international level). And I must have had one hell of a metabolism, because I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not put on weight (to the envy of all my friends). However, even then, despite all the activeness, I still had a podgy tummy and no real muscle definition. And to add to that, with my tiny stature, I was nowhere near as tiny as some other girls my height, with legs that made the boys' look like chickens :( Cue the beginning of not being happy with what I've got.

Long story short, over the years, I got put on the pill, got diagnosed with various medical problems including an underactive thyroid and joint hyper-mobility syndrome.  But no one really (including doctors) took my concern about my weight seriously, telling me that I was being active and muscle weighs more than fat. Tell me something I don't know! 

I took out my gym membership last year, after coming home from uni and FEELING the heaviest I have ever been - I was 9st 8, with a body fat percentage of 34%. (**Before anyone shouts.. This is a lot for me, considering I used to be a constant 7.5st. There's nothing wrong with being that weight at all, just not for me!**)

At 4'11, I felt that I was as wide as I was tall, and something needed to be done :( So I took to going to the gym  between 3 and 5 times a week, with 15/20 minutes of HIIT cardio, and then some weights. As the time went on, I cut out the cardio in the gym, because I was going swimming a couple of times at work (I'm a lifeguard/swimming teacher/trampolining coach), and just stuck to the weights.

Here's a general work out I used to do. Where it says "weight X", it's because I didn't know the actual weight. The gym doesn't use like kilos or pounds or whatever, so not really sure.

945928_10151567765385889_548457789_n.jpg

Earlier this year, uni took it's toll and got in the way a bit, and didn't go to the gym for a while.

I've been trying to get back on track, but too scared to look at the scales (as last time I looked, I felt lighter but weighed 9st 11). I've been trying to measure myself, and take photos. But I can't really see any difference in myself, although don't feel as heavy. I'm just not happy with the shape of my arms or legs or stomach.

My diet is pretty good; meal wise I start off with unsweetened porridge, with a salad for lunch, then a dinner of meat and loads of veggies. My problem is the fizzy drinks, and the chocolate/sweets.

I've just changed my routine a little to add some press-ups and some dips, and some shoulder presses and front raises, as well as some pull ups (on the assisted machine- :(

So I'm looking for suggestions to try so I can beat the cravings for the sugar; how people with the same health problems deal with losing weight, and how they get on; and how to change up my gym routine. 

,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸-(_ ღ✰уσυ ѕтιℓℓ нανє ÑƒÏƒÏ…Ñ âˆ‚Ñєαмѕ.. × Ï…Ñ•Ñ‚ ÑÑ”Ð¼Ñ”Ð¼Ð²Ñ”Ñ Ï‰Ð½Î±Ñ‚ тнєу мєαη✰ღ_)-,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸

So I'm looking for suggestions to try so I can beat the cravings for the sugar; how people with the same health problems deal with losing weight, and how they get on; and how to change up my gym routine. 

Sugar - Since I too have a notorious sweet tooth, I tend to have super strong urges to cram a fist full of skittles down my throat. My method: Fruits. Apples specifically. I LOVE apples and I truly could eat them all day. So, I guess my recommendation for you would be to find your favorite fruit and munch on that when the sugar craving hits. Natural Sugar > Processed Sugar.

Health Problems - I dunno about your specific case... sorry =(

Gym Routine - Depends on what you're out to do. There are plenty of resources out there for you to research. I'd start with the main page and start reading on the articles.

Good luck and don't be afraid of the now. You're taking steps to change who you are because you're unhappy with who you are now... and that's something to be proud of. =)

I love apples too! I'm so picky about fruit and it's one of the ones I can actually handle (I hate that I'm so picky about fruit). It's quite cool over here, that we do bags of like "kid" size apples, which are just the right size for me! :) I'll stock up on thems.

Health problems - hopefully someone might pick up on this and have some pointers! *fingers crossed*

Gym routine - I hate to use the word "tone" but I want to lose the fat, be leaner and stronger, and basically get a body that matches my head lol. I'll get cracking on the articles :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I discovered NF through a friend a while back, and it's taken me a while to get the courage to join in, especially as I don't really feel nerdy about anything haha :P But always trying to better myself. I've just completed a fitness instructor qualification in order to learn more about it. I can see it taking over my life soon! x

,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸-(_ ღ✰уσυ ѕтιℓℓ нανє ÑƒÏƒÏ…Ñ âˆ‚Ñєαмѕ.. × Ï…Ñ•Ñ‚ ÑÑ”Ð¼Ñ”Ð¼Ð²Ñ”Ñ Ï‰Ð½Î±Ñ‚ тнєу мєαη✰ღ_)-,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸

I've just invested in a fitball (or rather, my mama gifted them), to help do some pelvic exercises! 

Archived