Forums are back in action! ×

OMG I just finished my first workout...

...and I did it all! Maybe not well*, but I didn't quit in tears. It was effing hard, but not so hard it was impossible.I am sweating like a pig, and I was working out in our basement, which stays around 50°(F) all the time.

No lie, when I headed to the basement with my tablet (to refer to the guide and videos), worksheet & iPod (also served as stop-watch/timer), I told my hustand that I expected to only make it through the warm-up (which would still be more exercise than I've gotten in ages (other than long walks)). (He's supportive-guy, though; he said, "then you'll do the warm-up every day until you can do more.")

I feel like there should be a parade. Where's my parade?!

*My form is not ideal and I could only hold the plank for 10 seconds each rep, but for someone who hasn't done a full workout in years (maybe 10?), I'm damn proud.

My Battle Log

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

You do deserve a parade! Good job on doing it all, and not quitting even when it was getting difficult!

Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

“Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors.

Try to be better than yourself.â€

Strong work! Are you doing something pre-programmed or a routine you put together?

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I'm starting with the rookie plan from the Rebel Fitness Guide. I'm a little sore, but not as bad as I expected.

Tomorrow, I have to go to my office (unusual), so I'm going in early to walk as my alternate-day exercise. It shouldn't be too hot and there are some lovely trails/paths.

My Battle Log

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Congratulations! It's one of the best feelings in the world completing a workout that you were intimidated going into- you feel almost superhuman!

Even if you don't do an online battle log, I really recommend keeping a record of each workout so you can look back on it and see how well you're progressing. You can also look at before you start so you can try to beat your last total amount of reps. When you know that you did ten last time, it fires you up to try to do eleven or even twelve.

Thanks, Etchi! I was actually just logging on to start a log! I might keep one on my tablet or phone, too, because I'm not posting my weekly weigh-ins and I'm sure you all don't want to see that I remembered to take my vitamins today. ;-)

My Battle Log

You definitely need to track every workout. There is a strong likelihood that at some point you'll get into some type of real progressive lifting program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength, and forgetting what you squatted on Friday when it is time to do it again on Monday is always a pain. Besides that, you can look back a month and scoff at almost dropping a rep at 75 pounds, and now you're knocking out 125 like it's your job.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"