Forums are back in action! ×

9 Pieces of evidence proving food companies think the average american is stupid.

I think it works. I know they do  things to make it look more natural, but I'm still sometimes swayed by it. I think Wendy's burgers do look better than McDonalds. Reality is fast food is not as fresh as if you make stuff at home.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I think they're hitting their target markets perfectly. It's sad but factual that the vast majority of the U.S. population under age 50 honestly couldn't tell the difference between natural/fresh products and multi-ingredient/preserved/dyed/mass-milled products such as those in the article - and that's due solely to the fact that they've never seen the real thing in their lives. Put a piece of chicken meat and a chicken nugget on a plate together, and ask a 2nd grader which is one is chicken: guess which one your average kid is going to point to first?

On the upside, that just means I have one more advantage over elementary-school children in the event of a zombie apocalypse! :P

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Christ if a quarter of the country actually knew where their food came form there'd be panic in the streets. Wait, scratch that... The vast majority of our civilization is far to stupid to care.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Why can't they just make the food they sell as "healthy" actually healthy?! What is so difficult about that?

I'm also irritated by how all those companies have hijacked the word organic. They just throw it in front of anything. If the ingredients in your food include "organic partially hyrdogenated soybean oil," there might be something wrong.

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Run 30min 4x/wk     |     Stretch 30min 4x/wk

I've watched them boil the frozen, pre-cooked chicken.  Really, I think I knew all of these things.

Also, they can't make it healthy because the economic reality of this sort of thing is "shelf-life", which is why saturated fats are so high.  Saturated fats are a preservative, and shelf-stable for years. "Real, healthy" food is hardly shelf-stable for a week.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.