Forums are back in action! ×

Canadian Girl Getting Started Before She Moves to Japan

Hey Everyone,

I have not been a part of a forum for a good chunk of years haha, this is already bringing back memories.

Anyways I'm a 24 year old living up in Canada. I 've gone through quite a fair number of "experiment times' with working out - and feel I have a pretty decent grasp on some workout techniques - what I really lack is a consistency with my workouts - I feel like I go hardcore for a few days, then fizzle out.  I'm hoping to use these forums (and my own online journals) to help keep my motivated to stay on track. 

I did a pretty intense crash diet last year where I cut all carbs and replaced them with a lot of processed protein drinks. While I did lose weight quite quickly, I felt super bitchy, and restricted in everything that I was doing.  I was always short on energy and felt like I was constantly on the verge of being dizzy; The program also really put an emphasis on no exercise - something which at my core I really disagreed with. Having to turn down fresh fruit and my own natural sauces, etc that I make from scratch also felt pretty wrong.   I've gained back a good chunk of the weight that I lost (not really surprised about this) and have been randomly losing then gaining back the same 5 pounds.

This diet was great in making me realize how much grains and things can make me feel bloated and nasty a lot of the time, but I need to go at it in a more balanced format for long term success.

With some recent neck and back injuries I've decided that I really need to get stronger - especially in my back and core region if for no other reason than putting out ones neck REALLY HURTS.  I'd like to start focusing on my own acheivements instead of just "losing that last 10 pounds". Feels like a nice way to be less miserable that's for sure.  I've been on the verge of this for awhile but seeing a lot of the cool articles and success stories on here really made me want to change things up.

This website was really refreshing - I loved reading about the benefits fof Strength training for women. While I'm definitely more of a druid - i practice a lot of Yoga (mostly Moksha and a bit of Yin now and again to relax), I'm also working on increasing my speed for running - my goal is to be able to run 5km in 25 - 27 minutes.  I"m also trying to incorporate some circuit training 2x a week although I do get a lot of conditioning through Yoga.

Diet wise I'm working on slowly hacking out processed grains (3x a week - to start) and processed sugars. Bye Bye Coke Zero! (i won't miss you any other time but Friday at 2pm)

i"m hoping to use this site and forum to help keep myself a bit more accountable and learn about other resources available online.

While I"m currently in Canada, I'm also moving to Japan at the end of the summer for a one year teaching contract - I'm hoping to get a decent routine down by this time so that my move isn't going to completely overturn my efforts - if anyone has any suggestions with helping maintain fitness, etc while taking on an international move, I'd love to hear them!

*~Druid*

A healthier, more conscious lifestyle

Wandering Barefoot Traveling Yogi

The man who never alters his opinions is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.

William Blake (1757 - 1827

Yo! Welcome! While I'm still new to the forums myself I actually have a largely similar problem. I head out for Japan myself in a couple days from the Pacific NW of the US (pretty close to Vancouver actually). Right now I'm just kind of perusing the insane amount of reading material and working on adjusting to the Paleo lifestyle. I'm going for a Ranger build with some Warrior thrown in for good measure. My own workout goal is to be able to complete one round (not for time) of the 300 workout before I come back state side.

I found this site pretty close to my move date so I decided to just work on the diet change and start hitting the workouts once I'm settled over in good ole' Nihon.  I like it that way because it's a fresh, clean start. I even bought a few workout items (new running shoes, wireless headphones, and a TRX kit) and packed them away in my luggage waiting to be busted into when I get over there. Since it sounds like you're not moving closer to the end of August/early September though you should have plenty of time to establish some good workout routines. In the short week or so I've been here the biggest thing I've found awesome is the amount of tracking you can do via the Role-playing Game. It makes it fun and easy to see how well you're coming along and what you need to work on.

If you have any questions about Japan this won't be my first time over there and I'm a bit of an otaku when it comes to anime/manga/Japanese culture in general (Even started learning the language through Rosetta stone recently) so feel free to ask me anything, though if you're going over there to teach you might know more than I haha.

In any case. Youkoso irasshai mashita (Welcome!)

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

Thanks Hero :) How long are you going to be in Japan for - and where are you headed? I'll be up in Hokkaido for at least the next year starting at the end of August. While its not my goal to go full paleo (it ultimately ends up feeling a bit to meat heavy for me) I try to cut back on processed grains, etc - would love to hear anything you come up with for maintaining it in the land of rice and noodles.

I'm definitely aiming more Druid style but would like to increase some strength training ot be able to get into the more extreme yoga poses :)

*~Druid*

A healthier, more conscious lifestyle

Wandering Barefoot Traveling Yogi

The man who never alters his opinions is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.

William Blake (1757 - 1827

It's looking to be about half a year on the complete other end in Okinawa (so not "Japan" according to the locals haha). As far as Paleo goes, I plan on going about 80% so I'll be trying to substitute rice and stuff during the week when I can but come the weekend I'll be fine with taking in some grains. My biggest thing will be opening myself up to veggies, I'm a carnivore/carbivore through and through. Though for the noodle predicament I might try and do something with this spaghetti squash I keep hearing about (spaghetti noodle ramen?). Also cool! I've tried some of the Birksham (spelling?) yoga stretches for warm up and cool down from workouts I'd get from Spartan Race WOD's. I might look into some of that stuff, the stretches I could do felt good and I felt proud I could do the basic ones haha. I have trouble touching my toes without my knees bending a bit most of the time.

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

Hi!  I live in Nagoya, Japan.   I transitioned to Paleo/Primal recently and have started cooking with new veggies I see at the supermarket.  I also got a cookbook with some good wheat- free recipes.  It is hard to give up ramen and karaage, so those are once in a while "cheat treats."

I recommend checking out the local city gyms.  They have free weights and they are also cheap.  There are also a lot of small parks and they are fun to work out at...pull ups or step ups.

Anyway!  Good luck on your journey and new life here.  Feel free to ask any questions.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known"-Carl Sagan

Archived