Forums are back in action! ×

Running and shin splints

So as part of my 6 week challenge I decided to incorporate Interval Training on my off days. Now It was recommended for twenty minutes at a time. However at about the eight to ten minute mark my the outside of my legs above the ankle start to hurt. I run maybe a for another interval before I am literally hopping back to the house.

I am running barefoot with a forefoot strike on a grassy field. Maybe I'm pushing myself to hard to fast. I usually do a light jog when I run normally but with the interval training I find myself sprinting by the third or fourth interval.

So any suggestions?

To help with the natural form, don't run on grass. Pavement may hurt a little more (unless their smooth, in which case its sooooo nice), but it does wonders for your form. When you run barefoot on grass you don't have to be as aware of how you step and the forgiveness of the soil makes it more difficult to develop a standard landing form. Hard surfaces are much better to start on to work your form. Also, something that helps me is to focus on lifting up the feet instead of how you strike. When you let your foot fall subconsciously it has a tendency to do what work for it. Best of luck, cheers!