Forums are back in action! ×

Duck tales, whoo hoo!

I have been a nerd for as long as I can remember.  The first memory that I can vividly recall was watching my brother turn into a rabbit while playing The Legend of Zelda on the NES.  Becoming a hero became my obsession.  I was an incredibly active child, becoming a Shodan (1st degree black belt) at the early age of 11 and spent most of my time with a Bo Staff or tonfas in my hands.  

Unfortunately, about the age of going into high school I lost my grandfather and lost a lot of motivation to stay active in a critical time for my health and fitness. This persisted, all the way through my college years.  Because of my unhealthy lifestyle I had torn the ACL in my right leg completely and felt it was near impossible to lose the weight that I always talked about getting rid of.  Pursuing one of my bucket list items I fled to Japan for around 6 months, losing 50 pounds in less than 5 months solely on healthy eating and light exercise (walking everyday).  Coming back to the states I attempted to keep up my healthy choices.  As always, life hits hard, and I tore my left leg ACL completely soon after returning.  After mandatory surgery and 8 months rehabilitation I gained back all that weight I had lost and then some.

At my worst, I was 335 pounds, unhappy, and going nowhere.  Days were filled with jobs that I hated, while nights were spent playing video games, drinking, and eating crap from down the street.  Something had to change.

Fortunately my best friend happened to turn me on to Nerd Fitness, telling me simply to sign up for the email list and getting a feel on it all.

Rebels, let me thank you for being the most informative and inspirational means to lose weight.  All of your stories and research had changed my life.  I began around the new year to level my life, focusing on eating healthy and working out.  In this short time, due to the help from this website and determination, I have dropped down to 250 (85 pounds down from my worst).  Thank you all so much for your support, whether you knew you were helping or not.

Wanting to keep up the motions and not stall out I sought out the community here on Nerd Fitness.

Battle Plans:

GET BIG - Time to start weight training and find out how to do it right (Have one reconstructed ACL and another still torn)

Equip myself - Time to learn good habits and training methodology of fellow rebels.  In the words of General Tagge, "The Rebel Alliance is too well equipped, they're more dangerous than you realize."  Its time to join the ranks and represent appropriately.

What I bring to the table:

In the pursuit of my dream I plan on creating a healthy lifestyle ARG (Alternate reality game) in which people will perform real-life activities in order to become like the hero's of their favorite games.  Already a few weeks in, I should be launching the Alpha testing within the next few weeks.  As there is no one better than a Nerd to playtest, I will be presenting it shortly to the Rebellion.  

Lets level together warriors.

Keep calm, and game on.

-Stephyn Duck

Level 1 Warforged: Neophyte of the Empty Hand

“The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.â€

I really can't help myself here but i think you're talking about link to the past on SNES....I'M SORRY!!! I didn't want to be that guy but i love zelda and it was killing me inside. :D

I love your goals! Seems like you are pretty determined! We're all here to help and ask any questions you may have. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Yo! Sounds like you're really determined and I look forward to your game! You should also check out Steve's idea of Rising Heroes it sounds pretty similar. I've also spent some time in Japan and I'm going back soon. If you speak any Japanese maybe you can help me out as I'm trying to learn some (through Rosetta Stone) haha. I'm a bit of an otaku myself so if you share the anime/manga love lemme know! If not, can I still be an alpha/beta tester? Haha

Anyways yokouso (welcome)! You're goals sound awesome, if you're aim is to get BIG, as in like a tank, check out the Warrior section they've always got some awesome tips and advice for power lifting and all the other things getting BIG entails. Looking forward to leveling with you man!

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

I guess that is what I get for posting far later than I intended to.  Sumdawgtwigg, you're totally right and I think I will have to go play it to regain some semblance of gaming honor back :nevreness:

Thanks for the advice Hero, I'm totally checking them out today.  I wish that I could say that my Japanese is better than it is, demo watashi no nihongo ga jouzu jannai desu (Sorry for the butchering).  I would love to talk anytime though.  Maybe my skill will come back with a little practice.  

I did see that Steve had already beat me to the punch with Rising Heroes, and so I went ahead and signed up for the beta in hopes that I can help out.  Its such a great idea and the research is there to back it up.  

Krisis, I was thinking about alluding to Darkwing Duck, but I think becoming him should be a level up goal.  Right now I feel more like Donald Duck than Drake Mallard.  

Level 1 Warforged: Neophyte of the Empty Hand

“The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.â€

Archived