Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness Newb Starting From Scratch to Level Up My Life!

I started my getting fit journey about a year and a half ago sort of by accident...I maxed out at 200lbs at 23 years old (5'7) and really had a hard time figuring out how it had happened. Luckily, a new relationship that introduced me to Paleo caused me to lose nearly 50 lbs seemingly with ease, I didn't really even exercise. I was really happy at that weight and finally had some self confidence and drive to start getting into a gym. Then, tragedy struck me 1 year ago and I lost someone very close to me. Since then, I've gained about 15 pounds back :(

I'm sick of the yo yo that has been my weight and I'm sick of being lazy and making excuses. I want to change my life for good and instill good habits in my head now at 25. Here's the problem..I don't know where to start. I've read countless information about gaining/cutting, deficits, macronutrients, lifting/not lifting, my head is just spinning. I know that I need to lose about 4-5% body fat but I also know that I don't have any muscle. Is there a logical way to do this all at one time? Or do I cut the body fat first and then gain? How many calories should I be eating? Normal diet and exercise techniques tell me that I should be eating less calories than I burn to lose weight. Well, if I'm eating 1800 calories, how in the heck do I burn more? I just have so many questions and have yet to find the information that i'm looking for. I can't afford a trainer or a nutritionist so I'm relying on the people around me to help me out. 

Like I said, I really want to do this right, so I need the right information. Hopefully one of you kind nerds can point me in the right direction.

Peace & Love,

Sarah

Yo! Welcome! Firstly, sorry about your loss it's never easy and the emotional trauma during after can really affect things like weight gain and other bodily factors. Secondly I think a lot of people run into the problem of information overload. I have a tendency to enjoy jumping into the deep end of the pool myself and end up sinking rather than swimming whenever I do haha.

I can say that your paleo diet was definitely a great first step as like many people here will tell you. Diet is going to be key to getting fit. As far as working out and supplements and beyond, I'd check out the associated Role-playing Game some of us play. It makes it easier to define your fitness goals and track them, plus you get to work at those goals with people who share similar ones. Right now I'm just focused on shifting paleo myself and getting my body weight training as maxed out as I can before I move on to lifting and then ultimately some endurance (Goddamn you cardio! *shakes fist at angrily*). Since I want to be a jack of all trades kind of fitness person I went and joined the Rangers guild. If you're looking to be a power-lifter you can check out the Warriors, a runner/swimmer/cardio buff? Scouts. etc., etc. It's within those groups you'll find the people who will have the knowledge and experience to help you along the way. (you can check it all out here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/05/10/real-life-role-playing-what-is-your-profession/ )

Plus you'll always have the support of everyone here!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, take it one step at a time. You started with your diet which is awesome! Now try some basic workouts (Steve has some good beginner workout guides/books for download) then once you've done those move up to the more advanced stuff you like. Eventually you'll work your way up to the science behind it all and what macronutrients, supplements, and all that other stuff is and it will make sense then.

Kind of like playing a video game, first you learn to swing your sword or cast a bolt. Then soon enough you're a spinning tornado of blades or calling down meteor storms!

Sorry if that was a bit winded haha. Anyways, once again, welcome!

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

Guest Dirty Deads

Welcome! People here are very helpful, so you should get plenty of useful information.

The basic rules I've read say that if you are overweight, you cut first and if you're skinny, you bulk up first. I don't consider you extremely overweight so, you could do both. Focus on a strength training (the bodyweight beginning routine here is a great start) and eating clean. Your body will start shaping up and you may find the fat drops off as well.

Your BMR will determine how many calories your body uses at rest, then adjust that number based on your daily activity. If you're very active and workout 5 days a week it's about 1.5x

if you're moderately active, you'll probably want about 2100-2200 a day. More information is however needed. Like weight and activity level.

Welcome to the Rebellion!

I too am sorry for your loss. I gained most of my weight back when my mom died suddenly on st. patty's day 6 years ago.

Hero,

Thanks so much for your response. I will definitely check out the different groups and explore a little more. I hope to one day call myself a Warrior Princes haha. In the meantime, I do think you're right in needing to take my time. I'm an instant gratification sort of person and I like to have everything mapped out before I begin. I guess I need to shake things up a little bit and just jump in! Thanks again for the response!

Cheers!

No problem, that's what we're all here for haha. Also I totally get the instant gratification and planning thing, I think on some level or another we'd all like to have that instant fix  and plans for me have always had a tendency to go awry at some point so I gave up on plans a while ago lol. Good luck with becoming a Warrior Princess!

Kanpai!

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

Athena, that was an awesome post.  It helped me out a ton; thanks!

Sarah, welcome!  And good luck.  I think the real key (besides everything mentioned here) is sticking power.  If you can stick to whatever path you choose, you'll be good to go.  Easier said than done (....seriously, I suck at sticking) but this forum is really helpful for encouragement and accountability.  

Archived