Forums are back in action! ×

What?!? So I CAN eat and get fit???

Been poking around on NF for several days now, and I was struck by Speezy's story. She focuses on getting stronger AND eating?!? Coming from a mainstream women's fitness magazine, ex Weight Watchers, calorie counting, cardio like a crazy person, weigh, measure, get depressed, cut more calories, stress, get a new fitness magazine, join another gym class, fail to see results, and repeat it all over again place when it came to fitness... This approach seems so simple. So biologically intuitive, and (hot dang!) I can eat?!? Count me in! Actually, count us in. My husband and I start this journey tomorrow. Even went grocery shopping this afternoon to fill the fridge with more paleo options. Sticking to baby steps in the right direction.... And doing it together! :)

Level 1 Druid Sea-Elf

Battle Log:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50159-back-at-nerd-fitness-but-i-can-no-longer-see-my-toes/?p=1094367

"The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesan

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." -Albert Einstein

Eating?! Less cardio?! Yay, I'm so in! I am also taking a leaf out of Speezy's book and slowly making the shift to a combination of paleo and weights.  I started a couple of weeks ago with the diet and back to the gym last week.  After the initial sugar cravings died off (seriously, I wanted to kill everything!) it has been a reasonably smooth ride.

Good luck on your journey!  I hope the transition goes smoothly.  And there is always plenty of support and motivation round here - I've only been on here a few weeks and I've already found it super helpful.   

My journey

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started."

"Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."

Join me at myfitnesspal: liftmeupletmefall

Join me at jefit

Baby steps are the best way to start. Glad you're here. And yes, I eat a ton, and still consider myself to be in good shape. And so do lots of people on this site and elsewhere. Gotta love the Rebellion for telling the truth on eating and working out. (I also loved Spezzy's story.)

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Welcome!  Some of the stories have been pretty amazing.  I am doing the current 6 week challenge in the Adventures group.  I figured it was a good way to start up my new fitness lifestyle.  Next 6 week challnge I think I will try to crack into that Paleo life style.

We were talking about joining that 6-week challenge group as well. So glad you're doing it this time. I'll have to check out your link. Good luck! Maybe luck isn't the right word.... Good grit! Grit- because I hear that's what it takes. Cheers!

Level 1 Druid Sea-Elf

Battle Log:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50159-back-at-nerd-fitness-but-i-can-no-longer-see-my-toes/?p=1094367

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." -Albert Einstein

Eating?! Less cardio?! Yay, I'm so in! I am also taking a leaf out of Speezy's book and slowly making the shift to a combination of paleo and weights.  I started a couple of weeks ago with the diet and back to the gym last week.  After the initial sugar cravings died off (seriously, I wanted to kill everything!) it has been a reasonably smooth ride.

Good luck on your journey!  I hope the transition goes smoothly.  And there is always plenty of support and motivation round here - I've only been on here a few weeks and I've already found it super helpful.

Ahhh sugar cravings. Never been able to get past them... Glad to hear its possible. And good for you for getting there! I resisted the cookies this evening- but it wasn't easy. Any tips?

Level 1 Druid Sea-Elf

Battle Log:

Ahhh sugar cravings. Never been able to get past them... Glad to hear its possible. And good for you for getting there! I resisted the cookies this evening- but it wasn't easy. Any tips?

Pure grit and determination!  I'd be lying if I said I hadn't failed a million times.  But this time I've decided that things need to change.  But I'm also recognising that I need to splurge once in awhile and I'm not beating myself up over it.  Yup, I indulged in whatever, but instead of beating myself up and feeling like a failure, the very next meal, I'm back doing what I know will be good for me in the long run.  Hope that helps!  

My journey

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started."

"Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."

Join me at myfitnesspal: liftmeupletmefall

Join me at jefit

WifeyB: I'm SO glad you guys are doing this together. The hub and I did and I think that's how we were able to make the transition. Coming from a diet-centric mindset, Paleo (even paleo-ish) is going to seem so foreign to you. Cooking with lard/tallow or even bacon grease? Bacon? Bacon!! ;-)

If you guys are anything like the hub and I, in about two weeks, you're going to start feeling pretty damn good, physically, as the inflammation from the gluten-heavy diet you were probably eating starts to subside. If you're having any kind of tummy trouble (heartburn, etc.) you should find those decreasing as well.

If you're worried about sugar withdrawals, look to paleo-friendly alternatives - smoothies made with frozen fruit, coconut milk, etc.. I just discovered roasted coconut chips. I want to try making my own, because the only ones I can find in the store have a bit of sugar, but it's really a little bit compared to other sweets (8 gr. carbs per serving, which includes the natural sugars in the coconut) and no HFCS.

My Battle Log

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Archived