Forums are back in action! ×

Back in the Saddle... Hoping to not get bucked, again.

Hi all, I'm on day 2 of my get back in shape plan. I've been an on again off again gym type for a few years now. Each time I get bucked it is because of an injury. A few years ago I partially tore a tendon in my AC joint while benching a mere 225 lbs trying to keep up with people way stronger than me at the time... IDIOT! That took me out for over a year. Once I was healed it was so difficult to get back into the gym seeing how much I had lost as far as results go. Then, about the time I started feeling the call again I herniated a disc in my lower back, which is the first time I actually felt disabled. That took months to recover from and even to this day I am pretty stiff after bending over for a few minutes. I climbed up to 220 lbs and l looked and felt horrible. My self esteem was crushed and I was depressed. 

Then finally, I got motivated. I came across a tattered Body for Life book and followed the plan. I took my time to get strong and do things right, including my diet. I lost close to 20 lbs and shed close to 10% BF @ 200 lbs. Suddenly I felt really strong and after working out strictly with DBs throughout the program I decided to give the bench a go. WOW! I was banging out 10-12 reps @ 275 lbs! I never felt so strong and I was looking even better (according to my wife). I never would have thought I could achieve those results @ 38 yrs old. Then the unthinkable... I got over confident, again, and aggravated my disc doing dead lifts

So here I am close to 18 months later. A few weeks ago my wife came across my progress shots just before my last injury. I had forgotten I saved them on the PC. I was astonished by how fit I looked and even more taken back by how bad I look now. I'm pushing 213 lbs. and my mid section is embarrassing. I feel uncomfortable swimming without my shirt now. 

So it begins. I am going to do the BfL plan again because I am confident that I can see the same results. I am going to get my diet back in order and stop drinking as much beer during the backyard BBQs. I can't wait to see the results and feel as good as I know I will in 12 weeks, but most importantly I will stick with it. I would do everything possible to avoid another injury and if the worse case scenario happens I will work around it until it heals instead of allowing myself to quit working out and take the nose dive into self pity. This is going to be a permanent lifestyle change. 

If you are still reading I appreciate it, but I felt I needed to write this for myself. 

BEAST MODE ACTIVATED! 

Archived