Forums are back in action! ×

Undead Looking To Become Alive

Hello, everyone. *waves*

I'm Polaris, university student, artist, geek, and horribly out of shape. But of course, the latter is what I'm looking forward to change.

I've pretty much always been the opposite of athletic: I hate almost every sport, always got picked last for teams in PE class, and all my hobbies are mostly of the "sit on your ass" variety. While I wouldn't say I'm fat (I'm about US size 10-ish), my build is of a typical wizard's: mental stats are decent, physical stats... let's just say I have at least two dumb stats there. I get out of breath walking uphill, I'm doing wall push-ups because I can't manage a regular one, my joints make weird noises randomly and my back and neck are so stiff, I think they've stopped hurting because the nerves there just gave up and quit.

But recently I started thinking, I'm not even 25 years old, I'm not supposed to be in this state! So I finally decided to start my epic quest to becoming a harder, better, faster, stronger person.

I'm not sure about what exactly I want to do yet, hence picking the adventurer class for now. I'd love to try out all kinds of stuff - yoga, belly dancing, krav maga, kung fu, marathon running, parkour, archery - but I think I need to get more strength and stamina first. I've put this and this on my wall as an inspiration, because somewhere between them is where I'd like to end up, looks-wise, eventually. I used to be crazy flexible when I was younger, I could do a perfect split even though I didn't practice gymnastics or anything, so it would be awesome to get that back. I also want to improve myself mentally - get the upper hand over my anxiety issues, sort out the issues in my life, become calmer, more balanced, more "zen" if you will, and be a good, just person, even when it's not easy. I'm thinking my goal is to multiclass into Paladin and Monk, in DnD terms.

So far, this is what I've decided to do:

• Fix my diet. I've been on a low-carb diet before and it worked wonders for me, I always just kind of... wandered off of it. I think I'll try to stick between that and paleo/primal - get rid off useless carbs, try to avoid additives, eat more vegetables (!). I'll keep dairy products though, mainly cheese and cream, since they don't bother me.

• Work out at least 3 times per week. I've done the Beginner's Bodyweight Workout a couple of times now. Surprisingly, i was able to finish all three circuits, though I'm sore all over afterwards, but that means it's working, right?

• Get a size (or two) smaller. I don't actually have anything specific planned for this, I'm counting on it just happening as a side effect. I'm naturally hourglass-shaped, so I don't want to become stick-thin, I'd just like to emphasize the hourglass a little more.

• Start running. Jogging. ...Walking briskly. Running is something I've always, always hated and never been good at, but I imagine it would feel awesome to be able to run for long distances without feeling like my legs are burning and someone's stabbing me into my stomach.

• Go to the doctor. Because there are a few health issues I might or might not have, and it's time to get them checked up instead of sitting at home wondering.

• Try meditation, or beginner yoga, or something. All this anxiety cannot be good for my heart. While most of it is because of things outside my control and I cannot change them, maybe I could find some exercises to find a calmer state of mind despite of them.

I see this post ended up being a mile long. Sorry about that. Anyhow, in addition to my newly discovered interest in fitness, I'm a jack-of-all-trades in geek stuff and spend most of my free time drawing and writing (both fanworks and original). I like robots. <- Because that's seriously always a suitable way to end a post.

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Definitely go to the doctor.  Write a list of EVERYTHING that is wonky.  Make sure the doctor listens.  If he/she doesn't, find one who will. Make sure they run full bloodwork, including a full autoimmune assay.  It took 15 years before someone finally figured out what the hell was going on with me.  Paleo is really, really good for anything related to autoimmune issues or inflammation issues which is why I switched over from Atkins.  I used too many Atkins products that were full of chemicals and soy.  Hope you get some answers.  The good news is, I've only been eating like this for two weeks, and I am already feeling less pain (I have fibromyalgia, by the way). 

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Hey Polaris, I'm in the same boat as you in many ways. I'm a newbie here, too (haven't even written an intro yet), and I've got a few of the same goals. I've been dealing with my anxiety by following the beginner yoga classes at DoYogaWithMe.com. It's helped a lot with my out of control breathing. I hope that helps and good luck on your fitness journey!

wideeyed - Luckily, I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with me, just a couple of little things that have been bugging me and don't seem to go away on their own. The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is that I've begun to suspect I have hypothyroidism - I've got a matching set of symtomps, plus it can be hereditary and my mom has (had) it. So if it's not than, then it's probably just me :P Fortunately it can be detected by a simple blood test.

Dee Light - Thanks for the link, I think I'll try some yoga on the days between workouts. Besides my anxiety, it should also proof useful for my (lack of) flexibility - right now, stretching is the most painful part in my workout because my neck keeps screaming in pain whenever I try to bend to any direction.

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Archived