Forums are back in action! ×

Another newbie checking in here.

My fitness journey has been a series of ups and downs, perhaps because I never viewed being in shape and healthy as a way of life. I always saw it as a fix or as a means to an end. My perspective has changed in the last few months and, after a bit of soul searching, I'm willing to commit to my health and well-being.

I currently take Zumba/bootcamp classes 3 times a week and kickboxing about once a week. I am by no means a runner, but I would love to be able to run a 5k for my birthday in October. I've started jogging (walking quickly?) for about an hour every other day and just ran my first mile EVER, without stopping, about 3 weeks ago. I am so proud of that!

Unfortunately, it's always around this time in my journey that I lose motivation. I start to think, Things are going well enough, I feel alright...do I have to go to the gym today? Can't it wait until tomorrow? What about the next day? Or... I don't want that to happen! So, here I am. Surrounded by support and willing to give it right back. I'm currently unemployed and have all the time in the world to encourage others in their fitness goals. Looking forward to taking part in this awesome community!

Hey, I'm looking to run a 5k this fall too. How I started training (and what I found works for me) was to design a 5k route where I run. Then, I began with only half of the route jogging as much as I can and then walking the rest. After a couple weeks I could easily jog 1.5 miles. I plan to extend to 2 miles this week. :) I know lots of people getting into jogging who have used this method or something similar. 

Also setting a playlist or listening to the radio can really make the time go faster. And if you can find someone to jog with or share your experiences through texts or emails with, it makes you less likely to quit. 

Good luck!

Hey Dee Light, welcome!

It sounds like life has lined up just right in order to give you a real shot at sticking to taking care of yourself. That's awesome. I started in February and I never looked back. This is a fantastic place, full of amazing information and even more amazing people.

Congrats on your mile run! Yes!  :onthego: Best of Luck and chat often, we're here.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hey Browncoat9001 and Terinatum, thanks for the welcome!

Browncoat, that's such great advice, about mapping out a route and doing it every day. I'll definitely get on that sometime this week. I've been jogging around a track in my neighborhood and just guesstimating about the mileage. I'm positive it's at least a mile, not sure how much longer it is than that. Did you use a tracker like Map My Run to determine how long your route is?

It's funny that you mention a playlist because I just created one a few days ago that I probably spent way too much time putting together. Still trying to find jogging mates in my neighborhood, no success.

Dee Light, I have used things like Map My Run before and absolutely loved them. The problem with me is that I almost always run in mesh athletic shorts and most of them don't have pockets. My phone is also relatively large (Samsung Galaxy phone with an Otter Box) so carrying it is out of the question. So I go a little more low tech but achieve the same results. I used Google maps to create a route in my neighborhood the approximate length I wanted but it also is a giant circle that ends back at my front door. :) I also used it to create alternate routes that are longer all the way up to a 5k run. It is printed out and on my corkboard above my desk. Then, when I run I just wear a watch to do my timing. I also found that I am not constantly looking at my phone during the run if I carry it with me (stupid phone addiction).

That is what I do, but if you find an app works better for you, then by all means. A decent amount of runners I have talked to use them and are very happy. The most important thing is to plan your route. It gives you a finish line in mind every time you run. And if you can't find jogging mates I would be happy to talk about your runs and such when you have them. We are in the same situation and I would be happy to listen.

Matt

Such great tips, I appreciate it. I never even thought to use Google maps, but that does seem like a much better idea than lugging my phone around with me (I'm a bit addicted, too.)

Thanks for the support, I'm loving this site already. I'll definitely check in with how things are going, be sure to do the same. Good luck with your 2 mile jog, that's such a great accomplishment!

Archived