Forums are back in action! ×

Is it bad to be THIS sore?

I just switched from the tired girl-goes-to-group-gym-classes-and-pansies-around-on-weight-machines routine to lifting free weights starting heavy for 6reps, dropping weight for 8, and dropping more weight for 10 or 12 reps. 2 sets of this for each of 5 lower body exercises. This was Sunday afternoon. It's now Tuesday night and I still feel like I want to not move and cry. I'm pretty comfortable with my form, had a lifting partner watching to make sure I didn't jack something up I was unaware I was doing, and I've been eating enough and healthy since then to recover. So what the heck? Is this normal? I hobble around like a 90 year old woman. Could I have started too heavy? Or is it just this astoundingly different moving off machines?

I don't want to injure myself... What gives? Anyone been here? (Not kidding, I start to sit down and can't stop. That chair had better well be there because I wouldn't be able to catch myself! It's still THAT sore.)

Thanks!

Level 1 Druid Sea-Elf

Battle Log:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50159-back-at-nerd-fitness-but-i-can-no-longer-see-my-toes/?p=1094367

"The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesan

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." -Albert Einstein

5 free weight exercises for your lower body is probably overkill. What exercises were you doing? With machines, you only work 1 muscle at a time so you need a ton of exercises. But exercises like squats or deadlifts will work out all sorts of muscles at the same time.

I am still feeling some back soreness from Saturday's back workout, and I know I overdid it. Next time you feel good, pick 2 for your legs and maybe a couple that are more upper body/core. Also, what do you do to recover? I am no expert at this, but I stretch at the end of the workout, take protein on the way home, and use a foam roller regularly (just discovered this item and LOVE it). I cant say I know enough to recommend what I do, but those are some ideas to look into at least.

I was swapping large muscle groups (or so I thought?) in this order: squats, hamstring raises, deadlifts, lunges. So... I guess that's 4. Oh, incline sit ups for good measure. But my abs feel normal. Did a light swim after, a very light swim. Then stretched. No foam roller- but I've been reading about those. Might have to pick one up. Tomorrow is upper body and back. Friday, low body again. Is that order messed up? Overkill? Next week it would be 2 upper body workouts, one lower.

Have definitely found a new respect for all you free weight lovers out there... Dang...

Level 1 Druid Sea-Elf

Battle Log:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50159-back-at-nerd-fitness-but-i-can-no-longer-see-my-toes/?p=1094367

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." -Albert Einstein

A quick double check... any other symptoms like discolored urine, puffiness, extreme lethargy, etc.?

Assuming not, I'd say it's neither good nor bad. It's not going to do you any real harm, but there are 2 drawbacks... 1) you're miserable, and functional fitness routines don't do much good if they're regularly leaving you so sore you can't actually function in life and 2) you might slow your progress if your body isn't able to recover adequately

I would increase the variety (but not the number) of your exercises and decrease your reps/sets. There's a reason the stronglifts/starting strength routine and similar programs are so popular, particularly for beginners. 3-5 sets of 3-8 reps on 3 movements is a great place to start. 

In stronglifts, you would alternate between 2 workouts...

Workout A:

Squat

Bench

Barbell Row

Workout B:

Squat

Overhead Press

Deadlift

or something like that... I may be misremembering. You'd do 5 sets of 5 reps of each movement and increase the weight gradually each week.

First two times I lifted heavy I was exactly the same - I could barely move, had to resort to kind-of rolling sideways and falling out of bed to get out of it, husband even had to help me get up out of chairs, a few times I even literally crawled when I wanted something from the other side of the room. Ridiculous. Since then, though, I've been nothing like as bad. Just the usual mild-to-moderate DOMS. My trainer said it was just my muscles getting used to the new kinds of movement.

But, that being said, maybe you were overdoing it a bit so use the great advice others have given :)

Questionable Hobbitʉۢ Level 0ʉۢ Aspiring Warrior

STR 0 â€¢ DEX 0 â€¢ STA 0 â€¢ CON 0 â€¢ WIS 0 • CHA 00

Challenge Log: Puddletheduck stops waddling and starts bouncing (flying will come later)0

"Life's too short to be fat and miserable."

possibly a touch of overkill with that amount of squats and deadlifts tend to be done on different days or one light and one heavy. but any way you look at it i'm thinking it's regular DOMS for a new thing, first time i back squatted (had done dumbbell ones and deadlifts before) i couldn't walk properly for 3 days and had to spend a lot of the day at work standing, fucking hated that but now all's better DOMS wise

Ooh - another thought: stretching and moving around (e.g. a light walk later in the day or the next day) really helps, especially if you spend most of your time sitting at a desk. Stretch straight after lifting and then every few hours over the next 48 hours if you can. I also find doing 10 bodyweight squats a few times a day helps to stop my legs getting too cramped up.

Challenge Log: Puddletheduck stops waddling and starts bouncing (flying will come later)0

I'm going to chime in on the 'overkill' side. If your relatively new to lifting heavy, stick with a basic routine like stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength.  As a beginner, doing squats, bench press, and barbell row would be an entire body workout that will strengthen your body and build a awesome base without feeling like you're gonna die 3 days later.  Alternate this with squats, shoulder press, and deadlifts and you're doing stronglifts 5x5. There is a reason this program (along with starting strength) is so popular, because they work.

Losing weight is easy, the lifestyle change is hard. Nothing worth doing is easy. If it were easy, everyone would be fit and healthy.  - me

Level 0 Human Ranger

started at 303

current weight : 225

goal : 205 or 15 percent body fat

bench : 180

squat : 295

FWIW, I don't think your workouts sound like overkill. They're not what I would personally pick, but I think they sound pretty good. 3/week is fine, and switching between upper and lower body workouts may help keep the DOMS from affecting ALL your body all at once.

BUT the next couple of weeks will be hell. If you can push through that, you'll be OK. If it's too much for you, make sure to let your trainer know you'd like to dial back the intensity of the workouts and go slower, due to the DOMS. You're paying them, they should listen to you.

Let me clarify here. I only think your workout may be overkill when starting out only due to the fact that if your too sore to move, then you will be less motivated to lift on your next workout day. The workout itself isn't harmful, however its my personal belief that starting strength/stronglifts 5x5 is a good way to lay down a foundation and build off of. If you can motivate yourself to keep working through the pain, then go for it. Like Athena said, its not going to cause long term damage, and the DOMS will be bearable after 3 or 4 weeks.

Losing weight is easy, the lifestyle change is hard. Nothing worth doing is easy. If it were easy, everyone would be fit and healthy.  - me

Level 0 Human Ranger

started at 303

That is my workout

Squats

Deadlifts

Lunges

Natural Hammy string curls

there is nothing over kill about that- at all

your body just isn't used to it.  I remember in HS when CC season started- half the team couldn't walk off the bus- we were sore for days.  it is what it is- just keep working through it- you will find that as you workout- the muscles will stop being so sore and will function better- after a few workouts- the epic sore of all sore will stop. I promise.  :)

Ooh - another thought: stretching and moving around (e.g. a light walk later in the day or the next day) really helps, especially if you spend most of your time sitting at a desk. Stretch straight after lifting and then every few hours over the next 48 hours if you can. I also find doing 10 bodyweight squats a few times a day helps to stop my legs getting too cramped up.

Thanks for this tidbit!  I was somewhat fine the first day of my weight training, but after 10 hours at work, sitting at a desk, every muscle group has been screaming.  I will be spending today doing stretches and hoping no one walks in on me at the office.

Thanks for this tidbit! I was somewhat fine the first day of my weight training, but after 10 hours at work, sitting at a desk, every muscle group has been screaming. I will be spending today doing stretches and hoping no one walks in on me at the office.

You're welcome! I'm lucky that I work from home so there are only cats to surprise me mid-stretch :)

alright, on a mildly related note... 

do you do the same workout when you are still sore, or do you wait for the soreness to go away?

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

alright, on a mildly related note... 

do you do the same workout when you are still sore, or do you wait for the soreness to go away?

If you rested 48 hours, and you are still sore, its ok to work out again (even this is debatable though, I've never had any issues working out with DOMS after at least 48 hours of rest)

Level 0 Human Ranger

started at 303

No, it is very GOOD to be this sore. Don't let it keep you from the gym, as the fastest way to feel better again is to rip your muscles up again. I would look into a beginner program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength though. If the progression of them ends up too fast for you to keep up with then check out Jim Wendler's 5/3/1.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Thanks so much for all the advice! Really good to know I may be pushing it a little bit for just making the transition to free weights- but it doesn't sound like I'm doing damage & compromising muscle health. I'm going to try and stick with what I'm doing- and push through. My inner want-to-be-ranger is totally flexing her muscles. Ha-ha!

I went to the gym earlier today for an upper body workout, and it made my lower body feel more loose. (Oh! Thank my lucky stars!) No weird imbalances, or that "I'm injured" pain, just still so sore. If it doesn't get better after a couple weeks worth of workouts, I may re-approach.

Again, thanks. Y'all are the best!

Level 1 Druid Sea-Elf

Battle Log:

If you are lifting heavy enough to matter, it will not get better, at least IME. I'm sore all day every day, doubly so on Sundays (since I punish myself harder on Fridays). You get used to the soreness, but it doesn;t go away unless you take a few days off to deload.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I think that's unique to the person. I've noticed definite improvement in the soreness over time, and my workouts have gotten more intense and heavier, not less - and it's visible in my strength gains. I'm 10 months in to my "new life" and though I experienced the type of soreness you're describing early on, now my soreness is generally pretty minor. The idea that "if you're not sore, you're not working hard enough" is BS. Soreness isn't dangerous, and it's expected early on, but there's no real need to chase it or feel like you're not going to make progress without it.

By the way, since I forgot to mention it in my earlier response... congrats on making the switch. It's tough to step out of your comfort zone and learn new things, but you did it.

By the way, since I forgot to mention it in my earlier response... congrats on making the switch. It's tough to step out of your comfort zone and learn new things, but you did it.

Thanks so much! It definitely is out of my comfort zone. Like, "let's talk about the elephant in the room, and I'll stand on this weight bench and introduce myself and the needy newbie. While waving." kind of awkward feeling. But I'm loving feeling tough! Carry that feeling around with me all day. Makes it so worth it!

Level 1 Druid Sea-Elf

Battle Log: