Forums are back in action! ×

The much needed kick to get started

Hi everyone !

I’m a 26 year old translator from Brittany (France). I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a month or so, so I figure it’s about time I get properly started.

My main goal is to start parkour sometime in the next year, so I’ve been trying to build up some muscle (and hopefully lose a little weight as well - the lighter I am, the less I have to lug around while jumping over walls, right?). Thankfully I am not completely out of shape (I am a pretty good swimmer), but I got out of sports a few years back due to an injury and never quite got back into it.

So far, I have been mostly doing the bodyweight workout (can afford a gym right now), and found out that I have crap upper body strength… I can barely do 10 push-ups, never mind a pull-up. I could definitely improve my balance and coordination as well  (I’m a tall klutz). I am also terrible at running, despite being able to swim long distances easily. Perhaps I can try to rectify that too.

I’ve also been wanting to try the paleo diet, but I won’t be able to go 100% just yet. Fish and meat are expensive where I live, and my wallet can’t afford to have them often. If anyone knows of any cheap, paleo sources of proteins (I already eat a lot of eggs), I’m all ears!

I’m glad I found Nerdfitness, this community is the metaphorical kick I needed to get back into fighting shape!

Anyway, thanks for your time, and I am looking forward to learning from you all!

Julie

PS: I’m not a native English speaker so don’t hesitate to tell me if something I wrote doesn’t make sense.

Welcome to the forums! I'm new here too, but I have found that most people are full of great information and advice. And it's nice to have other people working hard to reach their goals too. :) 

For parkour I know that you have to have a combination of speed and stamina when running. I think the best kind of training to work on both would be to mix up longer runs with interval running. One day set a distance (like 1.5 km) and run/jog at a comfortable pace. If you have to stop and walk (I know I did those first few runs) then the next time just try to run more until you can do the whole distance without walking. Then, try to alternate intervals of 80-95% running effort with jogging (or about 50% effort). When this becomes too easy sprint more than you jog or increase the distance you run. This is the best way I have found to increase both your speed and stamina. 

Good luck, and just let me know if you need anything else.