Forums are back in action! ×

I've recently started the StrongLifts 5x5 program, a few weeks in now. But I need people (mainly women!) to talk to and get some help/advice/motivation etc! 

Any tips on how to get the most out of Nerd Fitness?

I have also started keeping a blog about it all - http://alfvsgym.tumblr.com if anyone's interested!

Thanks!

"Strong people don’t put others down… They lift them up"

Battle Log      Instagram      YouTube

I-Jo, earth to I-Jo. :D (message I-Jo if she doesn't chime in, seems I'm calling on her a lot lately lol)

And for my part, welcome to NF :) read this article :) http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Hey now! I-Jo isn't the only female around these parts, but she does know her shit about lifting.

AliceM- main thing about getting the most out of NF is to take all the advice you can get and apply little by little to what works for you. Not everything that people will say will apply to you, but if you have an open mind to what they're saying and see how you can tweak it for you and the results you want.

It's easy to get overwhelmed, just don't let it sidetrack you.

Hey now! I-Jo isn't the only female around these parts, but she does know her shit about lifting.

AliceM- main thing about getting the most out of NF is to take all the advice you can get and apply little by little to what works for you. Not everything that people will say will apply to you, but if you have an open mind to what they're saying and see how you can tweak it for you and the results you want.

It's easy to get overwhelmed, just don't let it sidetrack you.

Worry not Megan, I (and other people also), know that you know your shit too :) (as other females surely do on here :) )

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Just read your tumblr (skimmed really, sorry), first off don't be frustrated when you have an off day. It happens to all of us, we lose focus, have our minds on other things, whatever. You wouldn't believe how much our brain dictates what we can and can't do rather than our bodies. So when you feel like you're not progressing as you should, re-evaluate if it's your grip, your form, your stance and if all else is good then it's just a focus issue.

And don't be intimidated by the weight room, normally the people in there are more concentrated on what they're doing (or just looking at themselves in the mirror) rather than paying attention to what you're doing. Put the ear buds in, blast your music, and have at it, girlie!

Just read your tumblr (skimmed really, sorry), first off don't be frustrated when you have an off day. It happens to all of us, we lose focus, have our minds on other things, whatever. You wouldn't believe how much our brain dictates what we can and can't do rather than our bodies. So when you feel like you're not progressing as you should, re-evaluate if it's your grip, your form, your stance and if all else is good then it's just a focus issue.

And don't be intimidated by the weight room, normally the people in there are more concentrated on what they're doing (or just looking at themselves in the mirror) rather than paying attention to what you're doing. Put the ear buds in, blast your music, and have at it, girlie!

Thanks! Great advice :)

Hey honey,

I enjoyed reading though your tumblr blog, high five for picking up a bar!! welcome to the weights room ;) Don't underestimate yourself, youve learnt alot and made much progress in such a short period of time, your unstoppable now!

Just don't let your progress be anyone elses expectations but your own. lean muscle doesn't grow overnight and the muscles you have, has to be given  time to build the functional strength needed to support your goals. Don't forget when you do a 40kg squat, your legs are standing up 100kg of mass. thats pretty impressive by any means!

"The only difference between impossible and the possible is your determination" and i might add courage, confidence and perseverence go along way too. Qualities youve displayed throughout your blog :)

My personal experience with grip slipping on deadlifts comes down to 2 things 1. the bar and 2. sweat. I noted you were using a 15kg bar at one stage? These bars tend to be skinnier than the 20kg bar. Its for this reason that I like to use the 15kg bar for my lifts because it fits in my tiny hands better. If your using this size bar and having the issues consider using the 20kg bar and seeing if your grip feels stronger using the thicker bar. Secondly sweat will kill anyone's grip - especially when your working with heavy weights. so consider using chalk on your palms when you lift or using the alternating grip method... this one feels a bit unco the first few goes but strive on, it will soon feel normal.

P.S

your definately not a burden on Sam at the gym - everyone oher guy in that gym would be envious that that guys' girlfriend lifts! and Sam would be feeding off that. Trust me every guy I know works harder when theres a lady in the room!

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!†–Audrey Hepburn

Hi Kristy! 

Thanks for your advice, I'm definitely going to try using the 15kg tomorrow on deadlifts and see how my grip is :) Sam has some chalk so I can use that in the future!

Thanks as well for reading through my blog! I'm thinking of keeping a log on here too. It's really good to be getting feed back and advice! Need to spend some time going through other people's logs :)