Forums are back in action! ×

How to find balance?

Hi, I'm really new here! I've recently found it had to find a particular balance in my life, considering all I have to do. I'm a student, majoring in graphic design at my college. I work part time at an animal hospital, I try to work on as much personal art as I can in my spare time, I have a wonderful, beautiful boyfriend, and I'm trying to reach my fitness goals. I've always believed in having a particular balance of things in life, and not letting certain things overrun other things that might be important to me. The thing is, all of the things I listed are very important! How would any of you suggest giving everything an equal amount of attention without burning myself out completely?

I hear ya on trying to find balance.  I have a full time job, I'm going to school full time (required to keep scholarship), and I have a spouse and kids.  Not to mention the reason for being here, losing weight and getting physically fit.  Some days all I hear in the back of my mind is "imminent head asplosion, warning!"

However, it is doable.  You just have to have a schedule and be firm about sticking with it.  I also keep reminding myself that university isn't forever.  It's a small chunk of my life to devote to what I want to specialize in so the uncomfortable time now will be worth it in the end.  As for the SO, having been with someone for a long time, they tend to be a whole lot less needy than a boyfriend.  Or it's just a whole lot easier to tell them to bugger off, I need to take care of business.  I think my advice in this area is harsh so I'll leave it for someone else with a warmer solution to chime in.

Your focus should be school, art and taking care of yourself.  Work will fall into place, just make sure they know you can't work beyond a certain schedule due to school, and again be firm about it.  If you have to, write out time-slots for each day and fill them with what needs to be done and what you want to do.  It is handy to keep you on task as well as a great illustration for friends and family so that they can appreciate how busy you are and hopefully be able to support you better.

You can do this thing!  :D

sleep less?

I have 3.5 jobs

work out 5-6 days a week

have dance class 2-6 hours a week

train my own dance on my own 3-4 times a week

and up till a month ago- was balancing an out of town boyfriend.

You cannot give everything you are to EVERYTHING you do equally and in balance.  The pendulum will shift.  It's okay.  You actually- contrary to popular belief cannot do ALL the things- ALL the time.   You have to prioritize and make room for one thing and shift another- then go back and forth.

You will not find so much balance trying to spread yourself equally among all things- but rather find the balance in learning how to prioritize and shift gracefully from one focus to the next throughout the weeks.  The balance doesn't come on a day to day basis- it comes through subtle shifting across the board as an average.

Also- plan time for rest.  I find that I"m SO busy I never realize how tired I really am until I have 4 hours to myself... and when I sit down- I suddenly find myself exhausted.  Take time ever 6 months to take a break from everything- or everyone.  You need it. 

I hear ya on trying to find balance.  I have a full time job, I'm going to school full time (required to keep scholarship), and I have a spouse and kids.  Not to mention the reason for being here, losing weight and getting physically fit.  Some days all I hear in the back of my mind is "imminent head asplosion, warning!"

However, it is doable.  You just have to have a schedule and be firm about sticking with it.  I also keep reminding myself that university isn't forever.  It's a small chunk of my life to devote to what I want to specialize in so the uncomfortable time now will be worth it in the end.  As for the SO, having been with someone for a long time, they tend to be a whole lot less needy than a boyfriend.  Or it's just a whole lot easier to tell them to bugger off, I need to take care of business.  I think my advice in this area is harsh so I'll leave it for someone else with a warmer solution to chime in.

Your focus should be school, art and taking care of yourself.  Work will fall into place, just make sure they know you can't work beyond a certain schedule due to school, and again be firm about it.  If you have to, write out time-slots for each day and fill them with what needs to be done and what you want to do.  It is handy to keep you on task as well as a great illustration for friends and family so that they can appreciate how busy you are and hopefully be able to support you better.

You can do this thing!   :D

Thank you so much, yeah time-slots could be extremely helpful, I'm gonna start doing that most definitely. My boyfriend is extremely understanding, he's working a full time job and does a lot of stuff to get physically fit. Not to mention, he's going to basic in the beginning of next year, so he's making little changes to get somewhat accustomed to what he'll be doing. I'm grateful that work won't be extremely strenuous on me, and my manager and other coworkers are very understanding of the fact that I'm in uni/am an artist as well. I could so see how longevity in a relationship can totally allow for a lack of neediness though. Taking care of business is the number one thing, afterall! Thank you so much for the support, I appreciate it so much! :}

sleep less?

I have 3.5 jobs

work out 5-6 days a week

have dance class 2-6 hours a week

train my own dance on my own 3-4 times a week

and up till a month ago- was balancing an out of town boyfriend.

You cannot give everything you are to EVERYTHING you do equally and in balance.  The pendulum will shift.  It's okay.  You actually- contrary to popular belief cannot do ALL the things- ALL the time.   You have to prioritize and make room for one thing and shift another- then go back and forth.

You will not find so much balance trying to spread yourself equally among all things- but rather find the balance in learning how to prioritize and shift gracefully from one focus to the next throughout the weeks.  The balance doesn't come on a day to day basis- it comes through subtle shifting across the board as an average.

Also- plan time for rest.  I find that I"m SO busy I never realize how tired I really am until I have 4 hours to myself... and when I sit down- I suddenly find myself exhausted.  Take time ever 6 months to take a break from everything- or everyone.  You need it. 

This makes a whooole lot of sense. Things in life ebb and flow, and different amounts of attention have to go to different things that you're handling, no doubt. Breaks over the course of time will help me out a lot too, I realize. Prioritizing is gonna be important too, because I know at times certain things will be slow where other things will be fast paced. 

Hah, my problem is with rest too, I try to do anything and everything and never allow myself to get any rest. 

Prioritizing and shifting, I'll definitely keep all of that in mind. Thanks a lot. :}