Forums are back in action! ×

Hello Nerds,

I've been checking out this site for about a month now. After seeing a few results from the advice and encouragement, and loving the RPG/Sci-Fi/Fantasy references, I've decided to become a part of the community. Its a long story, but if you'll indulge me with a read, here is my ascent into nerddom, and my battle with the salty-sweet couch demon.

It Begins

I got an Atari for my third birthday. This was back in 1987. A year later my family moved out to the country; not pretty, picturesque, pristine wilderness, but the endless acres of corn type of country. So all there was to do to prevent myself from going insane was play BattleTank and Millipede on Atari, eat sugar coated cereals, and drink sugar filled sodas. Two years later it was Zelda and Mario on the NES, then A Link to the Past on SNES, Mortal Kombat on Genesis, and Fantasy VII - IX on Playstation. Somewhere in there I also managed to learned to read, play the guitar, and build an interest in science. My point, though, is sports and exercise weren't my thing, and neither was going outside to play with the children of the corn. By the end I was an 18 year old half-a-pack-a-day smoker weighing 330+ lbs (our familiy's bathroom scale only went up to 320, and the needle went well past that mark when I stood on it). I was soon off to college with too much weight and very little self-esteem. On top of everything my father was dying of cancer.

After I graduated high school I took a look in the mirror thought about what my future might look like if I didn't change. Would I too die of cancer someday? Or maybe it would be the diabetes, heart disease, and strokes that claimed three of my grandparents? I had to make a change, and I took action right away.

First Steps

That summer I began following the "Eat Right for Your Type" diet. Since my dad got sick, my mom had been stockpiling a number of books on dieting and health. I wanted to lose weight, and prevent the chronic, debilitating diseases I saw accumulating on my pedigree, and this book promised that. Like the paleo diet, it recommended an "eat like your ancestors ate" approach to diet. Since my blood type was A-, I was supposed to eat like the people that invented agriculture and founded the first civilizations. This included a diet rich in whole grains, legumes, and vegetables with moderate amounts of poultry and seafood, while being lighter on meat, dairy, and fat. I followed the diet religiously during that first summer. From June through August, I had lost 20-30 lbs, and people were noticing. Of course, anything would have worked at the time as long as it got me away from the sugary, processed crap I was eating all of my life.

Over the next couple of years I followed most of the same prinicples. I started adding some of the standard weightlifting and calisthenics to my weekly routine, and started learning Tai Chi from a book I picked up. I had always wanted to learn a martial art. By the end of my second year of college, I was down to about 260 lbs., my pants size went from a 44" to a 38" waist (if I remember right), and I was keeping it off  -- although starting to plateau. I was still smoking; less than before, but still...

At the beginning of my third year, my Mom was getting remarried (my Dad lost his battle with cancer at the end of my first semester). The family moved, and I transferred from the satelite campus that was close to home to the main campus for my school. There I had ready access to multiple gyms, and there were tons of sport and exercise clubs, especially martial arts.

Full Speed Ahead

I had checked out a few of the martial arts clubs and finally decided to go for the grand daddy of them all -- Shaolin Eagle Claw Kung Fu. I was committed to it fully, almost obsessed. Three one-hour and a half classes a week -- kicks, punches, jumping, drills, and forms until I often might have puked. I even trained in my dorm room most of the off days. I started losing weight again, despite the fact that college life was ruining the good diet habits I had started at home. Also, I had finally quit smoking. By the end of my third year I was down to 235 lbs. lost another two or three inches from my waist, and on top of that gained quite a bit of muscle. I was even in good enough condition to go to the Summer Kung Fu training camp where for two weeks I trained 9 hours a day with the Grandmaster and other people from around the globe. I picked up some more good exercise and diet habits from my Kung Fu brothers and sisters: "Eat and exercise like a Shaolin Monk." I was mostly vegetarian and working out and working hard constantly. During this time I even completed a seven consecutive day cleansing fast, when in my previous life I doubt there were seven non-consecutive days without food. Soon I hit 212 lbs., waist size 36" just before Thanksgiving. I had lost nearly 120 lbs. in three years, and I could even do a couple of one-armed push-ups! I had never been, since or before, in better shape than that time.

Oh! But I soon got cocky and a bit lazy even.

Losing the Way

After the holidays were over I had put about 5 lbs. back on. I told myself it would go away once I got back in regular training. Unfortunately, I started getting lax on my diet, and began drinking with my friends more. By the end of spring break I was back up to 235 again. My Kung Fu brothers and sisters gave me some shit, so I started training hard again (for a while) and went back down to about 225 for the summer. I couldn't afford to go back to the summer training camp this year. Not having the same motivational boost as last year, I started playing my roommate's Xbox instead of training hard, started drinking with the guys more often, and eating mostly whatever. To top it off, my Kung Fu teachers (other students at school) were graduating and moved away. It was up to me to train myself during my last year at college. I tried, but I wasn't a good self-motivator, at least not when it comes to exercise. Instead I put my Kung Fu on the back-burner and dove into my school work. At the time I was also finding a renewed interest in evolutionary biology and genetics (which is what I do now). I trained often enough that I kept my muscle, but when I graduated I was about 255 lbs from eating stupidly and drinking heavily too often. I was even smoking an occasional cigarette after two full years of being smoke free.

A month later I started my first real (ish) job as a lab technician half way across the country (the USA that is, in case it wasn't assumed already). Now I had to go be somewhere, working, from 9 to 5 everyday. I had to pay bills and, soon, student loans. I had no time and no money anymore. No matter what, I was going to lose 30-40 lbs. I simply couldn't afford the extra protein and calories needed to maintain the layers of muscle and blubber anymore. About a year later I was back down to 215 or so without any effort. Sure, I walked and rode my bike to and from work, but I stopped working out. My waist was down to 34". But this time I wasn't "in shape". I lost muscle mass. I was tired most of the time, and my muscles and tendons felt stiff and weak. I didn't have the same spring in my step. When I was training, I always felt like I could lunge, covering tens of feet in an instant, evading my opponent's strikes and dealing multiple counter attacks that resulted in my attacker collapsing to the ground, while my strong, agile, and cunning Eagle's claws positioned themselves to deftly deliver an joint lock, immobilizing my opponent. Frankly, I was starting to feel... old. I was 24.

Wandering

Things started to get better. For my second year of that job, I moved to a cheaper apartment. I started eating better and the university gym was on the way home. I started to exercise there occasionally, played ultimate frisbee with some friends, started riding my bike more often. After the second year I moved again and started my PhD in genetics at UW-Madison. During the first year occasionally exercised: bike around town, go to the gym occasionally, play racketball with some friends. I even got into jogging and for the first time I ran more than a mile in a single effort. I would soon start running 4-5 jogs twice a week. While at a conference in Portland, I went out for an 8 mile jog one morning (although the pace was slow and I took several breaks to see some of the sights around town). I started doing yoga, and I even gave Kung Fu another shot (one of the same clubs is here). I maintained a weight between 220 and 230, but none of my exercise routines stuck, and Wisconsin is full of bratwurst, fried cheese curds, and, of course, beer.

Soon it was time to start working on my thesis. Time at the gym would decrease while time at the computer increased. I gained about 10 pounds while writing my thesis proposal. Worst of all, the bulk of my thesis relies on programming a computer and in the year since I have packed on an additional 20 pounds. A month ago I was about 260 lbs, and not feeling energetic or strong despite having signed up for a gym membership on Jan 3rd that I only rarely use. I could only see things getting worse if I remained on the same track so I got on the internet.

That's when I found Nerd Fitness.

Lessons Learned

If you've made it this far thanks for reading. My story is long, but the progress as well as the mistakes I've made are reflective of much of the advice on this site and the struggles of many rebels.

I needed a change so I did. I made several gradual changes, getting rid of bad habits, replacing them with good ones. Eventually I went full force into something I had always dreamed of doing. Unfortunately, after a while I lost my support group and my motivation to keep taking it to the next level -- or work at levelling up in the NF parlance. The result is that I backslid into a lot of old bad habits. It felt worse having slid back after having it so good for a while. Being 260 for the first time after having been 330+ felt a lot better than being 260 now. Also, I can appreciate the difference between doing things the right way vs. the wrong way; compare 312 the first time to 315 the second time. Weight really is just a number, it doesn't indicate how you'll feel when you get there.

We have to choose our battles wisely, develop sound strategies, commit to winning them, and surround ourselves with the support we need to be victorious.

Back on the Path

In the past month I have changed the way I eat, and have been exercising regularly and I've lost about 7 pounds. I started doing the beginner body weight circuit, and have kept up doing it 2-3 times a week. I have even started adding weights/more weigt to the exercises and have been experimenting with other workouts. I have decided I am trying to add some muscle for now. I am starting to feel stronger. Soon I will start emphasizing weight loss with good nutrition and fat burning weight lifting exercise rather than protein depleting starvation and running for miles without a real goal. I will probably make this the focus of my first 6 week challenge, but in the next few weeks before the next one begins I will be figuring out where I am now and exactly where I want to go. Who's coming with me?

Be nerdy. Be strong.

John

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Hey John

I really hope you achieve your goals. I too am new to the NF universe (and to ANY kind of fitness). I'm only slightly overweight but I really want to feel stronger and look better. Right now my one in ambition in life is doing a real, no bull**** pull up. I just got my pull up bar in the mail two days ago so now I've got no excuses. Anyway, best of luck to you.

- Chris