Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from the Far North

Hello from Northern Quebec, or as we say, Bonjour.

Not entirely sure I qualify as a nerd per se, but in this region, being literate and finishing highschool count as nerdy (plus I can use phrases like "per se" correctly, so...).

A few basic facts about my semi-nerd self: I am female, 36, have always been "chubby" but usually managed to stay in an attractive range. I hated sports as a child, and remain uncoordinated to this day. However, I have taken up jogging, so there's hope. 

After my divorce in 2010, I topped the scale at 261 on a 5'7" frame. I have since lost 96 lbs. Yay me. During this time I gave up a lucrative job, television appearances, and a political sideline career to move to the sticks. Why? Because Toronto, like most large cities, is a soul-suck. I now work a minimum wage job (more on that later), there are deer on my lawn, I drive a truck like a good redneck, and I've never been more at peace with myself.

I am accustomed to a reasonable quantity of tequila, and you'll pry the cheese from my cold dead hands. Other than that, I am fairly flexible on dietary issues.

I recently discovered that wheat was the cause of my bloating and constipation issues, and gave it up - for all of 19 days, till I went on vacation. Oops. Home now, back on the wagon, and celebrating Day 2 wheat-free.

I, like many women, have serious issues with food, and should probably seek counseling for them. Alas, I won't. Due to the unfortunate circumstances surrounding my divorce (including not being allowed meals, then moving to a shelter where food was tough to come by), I fear scarcity. Ergo, restriction diets (paleo etc) scare the ever-living out of me, causing me to go on uncontrollable binges. Like, gaining 4 lbs in a day kind of binges. I am TERRIFIED of being told "No, you can't eat that." That said, I have *chosen* to give up certain things, like the wheat, and also my trigger food: ice cream. MY body, MY choice, as the harpies shriek.

Now, about that minimum wage job... I work overnight in a convenience store. I am surrounded by chips, chocolate, salted nuts and all manner of utter garbage. During the darkest, loneliest part of the day. Oy. This time last year, when I first started this job, I was all spry and bursting with energy. I'd jog/sprint and do stairs almost every day, stopping to jump in the river for a quick swim to cool down. Now... I sleep. And sleep. Occasionally toss and turn, then sleep some more. I have lost and gained the same 6 lbs over and over so many times since Christmas, I've lost count.  Before that, I had a goal: Wear a bikini to Christmas dinner. I achieved it, wearing one for the fist time since I was FOUR years old! My follow up goal, to break the 100 lb loss barrier, hasn't materialized. Not that I don't care, just that I'm no longer motivated. Blah.

I'm in reasonably good shape. I have a part-time job on weekends as a farm hand, which I lovelovelove, and which challenges my body. In fact, I once carried a calf through a shopping mall (long story, and this one's bloody well long enough!), so I'd say that I'm stronger than the average female, even though I don't actively work for it.

There are 2 gyms up here in LaLa Land. One is expensive. The other is prohibitively expensive. I skip the latter, obviously, even though their hours are more accommodating. I've used the expensive one for 2 x 1-month memberships: One before the bikini challenge, and one because I had spring fever and the weather was crap.

I need to get off this darn plateau. I haven't given up. I just need a little push.

I am,

Determined

Welcome!

Sounds like you have good goals. Have you looked into the accountabilitbuddies thread? You might be able to get specific support from a small group with a particular thing, like motivation.

Good Luck and see you around the threads!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Bonjour, Determined!

I'm in rural Central Ontario, on the great Canadian Shield. Like you, I've been overweight my whole life, am 35, at 5'6". I drive a half-ton, and have given up on yeast and wheat (most of the time). Ice cream is also a kryptonite of mine (don't look in my freezer right now!) and the way you are with cheese is me and chocolate. I finally started to change my lifestyle a few years ago and lost about 90 pounds. Some have crept back on, but the best part is that I went from a size 22 down to a 10/8. The gyms in my area are also more expensive than I can afford, so I use dvd workouts or go to the internet for free workouts. 

Maybe we can push each other!

See you around!

Newbie Human Ranger Level 1

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 CON 0 WIS 0 CHA 0

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34543-how-sasx-gets-her-groove-back/