Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone! I've been lurking around the main Nerd Fitness site for some time now, and just got around to joining the forums. Let me tell you a little bit about myself and my goals for the future.

Who I Am

My name is Sarah. I'm twenty-five years old, coming up on twenty-six this August. I currently live on the East Coast but am in the process of relocating to Seattle, WA with my boyfriend, Jonathan.  I'm a freelance illustrator and miniatures painter (those little dudes, like Warhammer), and used to run miniatures gaming and events at my LGS, before I quit my job and decided to move/pursue minis painting full time. My nerdy hobbies include video games, reading, vinyl toy collecting, cross-stitch, miniatures and board games, and of course, drawing and painting. I also like writing short stories. I'm an outspoken feminist. I like to do weird things to my hair.

What I'm Working With

I've struggled with my weight, eating disorders, body dysmorphia, and general weakness for my entire life. I'm 5'7" and currently weigh 188 lbs. Not great. I've been everywhere from close to 250 lbs. down to 160 lbs., but never either skinny or fit. I eat terribly: not too much processed food, but too much restaurant food. My upper body strength is atrocious. I don't yet have the ability to do a push up and have never successfully done a single one in my life. I'm not flexible at all. I sustained a significant injury to my ankle four years ago that is just now healed. All of these facts are mostly presented without judgement on myself, but are intended to let you guys know where I am in terms of fitness.

Where I'd Like to End Up

I chose the "Assassin" class because I find it to be in line with the sort of person I'd like to be, even if I'm not close now. I have a great deal of respect for those who can command their bodies with grace and agility, and would love to not only be at a good weight, but be able to have strength and control over my body. I want to feel the most comfortable in my own skin is as humanly possible, and that I can meet any obstacle thrown at me. 

I have fallen in love with parkour after watching some videos (I prefer the simple kind that gets you from point A to point B the fastest...with a minimum of flips and stuff), and I want to work hard to become proficient at this. I'm also interested in yoga for flexibility and stress relief, krav maga for self defense and badassitude, climbing rocks and trees for outdoors time, and pole-dancing for smexiness. :D

Things I've Changed So Far

In the past week, I decided to go Paleo. I actually love it, and barely miss crappy food, though it is a lot of work cooking and preparing food all the time. (Previously, I'd been doing takeout every night.) I really think I can stick with this, though. I feel much better. (Initially, after I quit my job, it was an orgy of donuts and ice cream every day. Tasty, but terrible.)

I started working towards being able to do the first set of exercises recommended for beginner traceurs (traceuses?) in the parkour beginners article. I can do squats and leg lifts reasonably well, but I've had to make some adjustments for the push ups and pull ups. I am doing tricep pushups against the wall, and holding knee planks on the floor for 60 seconds. It's all I can manage right now, but I can feel myself getting stronger every day I do them. As for pull-ups, I've been using a low-hanging tree branch to do those levered ones with my feet, and just trying to hang and flex a bit when I can find something to grab onto. 

I'm in the process of relocating to Seattle. When I get there, I'm going to join a gym because deadlifts seem like fun. There also appears to be a nice-looking parkour gym in the area.

My First Goals

1. To do one full push-up and one full pull-up. I will keep working on the modified versions, increasing difficulty until I can do this.

2. To stick with Paleo for 30 days.

3. To like one thing about my body.

That's it. It may not seem like a lot, but it's enough to be getting on with in the middle of a move, and they're nice, small goals that I can accomplish in a reasonable amount of time. I'd like to be able to do these by mid-August, when we move.

Thanks for taking the time to read! I welcome comments and advice.

-Sarah

Twi'lek Assassin
Level 1
STR : 1 | DEX : 2 | STA : 1 | CON : 4 | WIS : 4 | CHA : 3
"The Sith won't let us hide. Besides, I'm tired of hiding -- being hunted. I'd rather be the hunter." -Shado Vao

Thanks, Determined! Hey, if you got the clavicles, you got em. XD

I think it will be a long time coming, but I want to eventually like my arms.

Twi'lek Assassin
Level 1
STR : 1 | DEX : 2 | STA : 1 | CON : 4 | WIS : 4 | CHA : 3
"The Sith won't let us hide. Besides, I'm tired of hiding -- being hunted. I'd rather be the hunter." -Shado Vao