Forums are back in action! ×

Its a start

So I just had to share for a moment - I made the decision yesterday that I was going to make changes after seeing myself in some recent pictures.  And I have adopted the moto of one moment at a time.  We celebrate birthdays at work and we had one yesterday afternoon, I sat in a conference room with homemade chocolate cake and icing and homemade apple cake and I smiled and laughed with everyone and I didn't have one piece!!!  I did it!!! I then went to the grocery store and I wanted a cookie and ice cream and I told myself no and I managed to get out of the store with healthy options!!!  I am so darn proud of myself and I really really really hope that I can keep doing it this time.  And as i devoured many of the articles here on this site, the one that struck me is the eating breakfast.  When you don't eat when you get up you end up reaching for something easy and not good for you and realized how often I really do that.  So this morning I got up and had breakfast and didn't stop for a donut or bagel.  I know it doesn't seem like much but to me its a huge first step!!! I can and will do this!!! Thanks for listening...I hope everyone has a healthy and productive day :)

Level 1 Half Elf Adventurer

STR:  1.5  DEX:  1.5  STA:  2  CON: 1  WIS: 5  CHA: 4

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. - Maria Robinson

Yeah!  On eating breakfast.  I am amazed at what a difference it has made.  I ate at 6:30am and I am just now getting hungry and eating some fruit where has before I would have eating so much junk because I was starving.  And I absolutely love your quote  about being diagonally parked.  Made me laugh!  :)

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. - Maria Robinson

KrazyK, you're taking your very first steps on living a healthier lifestyle. Most commonly people will do what you did for a week and be proud and thing "oh, this is easy", then they end up falling off the boat and going back to previous ways.

YOU, on the other case will not, YOU will stick with your goals, YOU will make the healthier decisions and self discipline will be needed.

YOUr body will crave sugar, YOUr body will tell you it's hungry, once you beat these, you'll have the road laid out.

Think of the beginning of this journey like building a road, you need a good solid foundation if you want it to last and be able to ride it until the end.

This journey is for YOU, at the end of the day, YOU make your own decisions.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Thank you so much!  You just made my day. I am going to print this out and put it at my desk.  You are right.  This is my journey and I am going to make this one stick!!!  I can and I will make it this time.  I need to take some before pictures so when I reach my goal I can look back and see how far I have come!  :)

Thank you so much!  You just made my day. I am going to print this out and put it at my desk.  You are right.  This is my journey and I am going to make this one stick!!!  I can and I will make it this time.  I need to take some before pictures so when I reach my goal I can look back and see how far I have come!  :)

The NF community will stand behind you always. If you're having a bad day, come talk about it and by the end of the night, you'll be back on track.

And you're welcome :) it's really my pleasure!

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

That is a HUGE first step, and one in the 100% proper direction.  Remember this, you are a person who celebrates birthdays but doesn't eat cake.  You are shunning the cake, you just don't eat.  Same as you wouldn't eat an apple core or a banana peel.  Steve has an article about this.  Keep it up.  You are doing great!

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy

Thanks!!! I am so proud of myself right now - day 3 and I just had to run to the grocery store for work.  I got in and I got out without buying a candy bar or a cookie or all the bad things that I wanted.  I have discovered my will power - now if I can just hang on to it!!!!  I am being bad at the moment - I am having a soda which as soon as what I bought last week is gone will not come in my house again!  And I have a very bad ice cream in my freezer which I fully intend to eat but again then that is it.  Happy dance!  Oh and even better news...I got on the scale this morning and I am 4 lbs to being below 200 for the first time since my son was born 8 years ago!!!!!  That is 8 lbs down since the beginning of June when I realized my weight was going the wrong way and I started to slowly struggle to make changes.   I can't tell you what is different this time. I just know that I feel different and for the first time in a long time I feel that I can win this weight battle and get healthy once and for all.  Score one for the Geek!!!  :) 

Good for you on avoiding the cake and cookies!  It's not the calories as much as it is the habit. 

I have been shifting my diet towards more fat and protein to try to get longer burning energy.  I find that after a few months of this, sweet stuff is just too sweet!  Unless its my mom's chocolate chip cookies, I'm just not interested.  Ice cream is still a player, but the cookies and stuff you find the the store just aren't  You would be amazed how a series of seemingly little steps will recondition your preferences without you even noticing. 

Three cheers for small triumphs.  They add up.  They are absolutely worth doing a happy dance for.