Forums are back in action! ×

I've been lurking around NerdFitness for awhile and figured now is as good a time as any to introduce my virtual self.

To say I'm completely new to fitness would be an outright lie - in fact, in my younger years, I played a number of different sports with varying degrees of success. However, I wouldn't say I was necessarily "fitness-proficient" - I would show up to practices, games, tournaments, etc. and play. At that time, I was able to pretty much eat/drink anything and everything because I was insanely active (sometimes leaving 3 hour lacrosse practices to play 2 hour hockey games) without having to spend time in a gym, on a track, etc.

"So where's the 'nerd' part fit in, lax bro?" you may be asking yourself, realizing you don't want to be judgmental but finding it hard not to picture a dudebro with flowing locks and a lax penny. Well, I was (and still am) a huge nerd - music (listening, playing, attending), video games, chosen profession, self-proclaimed beer nerd (since I turned 21...kinda) - it's all there, it was just hiding behind the jock archetype with the flowing locks (though I wasn't much of a dudebro).

Sports did, however, burn me the hell out to the point of not wanting to be involved in any sport when I showed up to college. What I did continue in college was my eating/drinking habits and my love of music, video games, and beer without coupling that with the physical activity I and my body were so used to.

Fast forward six years, and I'm 6'1", 250 lbs (though I've been told I "wear it well") while being tied to a desk five days a week with chronic heartburn (which I'm currently medicated for). I've tried running programs with little success (man do I hate running) and have recently made the switch to paleo (though I would probably be more accurately described as a "cheatin'-Paleo" as the beer nerd is strong with this one). I managed to get through Day 1 of the Beginner Body Weight Circuit workout yesterday (and have lived to tell about it) and hope to get in at least a light jog today after work if the rain holds off.

My overarching goal is to get myself physically and mentally healthy before I make the turn at the 30 year marker, which is fast approaching, and I would classify myself as "fitness-deficient". My eating habits aren't as bad as they once were (fast food happens maybe twice a year, if that, and I rid myself of soda in favor of flavored seltzer water a couple years ago), but it's keeping with good exercise habits I have the most trouble with. I'd like to say with enough poking and prodding I could rid myself of the beer hobby, but I don't think I could ever turn down a pint of a really good IPA.

So, uh, there you have it. If you've read this far, thanks for reading my rant! It'll probably take me awhile to feel comfortable being a regular, but I look forward to reading through all the stories/suggestions/battles you all are currently willing to share!

- NukaCola

Fallout. mmmmmmmmmmmm, you dragged me in with you name and avatar.

Welcome to the forums! You're story seems one that is closely related to mine. If you really want to change, you will find a way to do it. Period.

If ever you need help with anything, let me know ^^ Always glad to help and give out advice :)

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173