Forums are back in action! ×

A New Warrior enters the fray...

Hi!

I've been lurking around the forums and the blog for about 7 months now.  Stumbled across some of the blog articles while bored at work, and have been actively devouring info since then.

My story is the same as many around here.  Overweight, unhappy, changing both.

I have been a slave to the Imperial Fitness Center mentality for a long time, going to the health club and doing what the 'trainers' say, which is usually just enough to see a few results, but nothing lasting.  My weight and fitness both fluctuated wildly and I always blamed some outside (usually imagined) force for my struggles. (Oh, woe is me!)

Then in January, a friend of mine pointed me to Nerd Fitness. I believe he said, "Hey, this looks like something that would align with your interests." and i started reading, and reading.  Started working out with the beginner's bodyweight workouts, then i purchased the rebel fitness guide.  Started seeing results, and was happy.

Kept doing that for a few months, but hit a plateau. Damn. I started to give up, but then I kept reading about how weightloss is 80% diet.  So i figured i was eating poorly.  Started to really be honest with myself and track what i ate.  Bam! wasn't eating well. Changed that, and progress started again.  

As with many things, i got bored with my workout, and bought Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength 3rd Edition, and have been pouring through its pages just as much as i read through the nerd fitness site!  I have found a new love in lifting heavy things, and am seeing the kinds of gains/losses that i like  :pride:

So now, i'm eating better, and lifting (occasionally swimming).

and i figured since i've been in the background for so long, i'd finally step out and introduce myself!

So, Hi! I'm Nick.

Hi Nick! I thought your experience with plateau, and overcoming it, was really great to share. I'm pretty new here myself, with only ever having lost 20lbs and promptly gaining it back, it's important to see/hear how others have been successful in conquering these types of issues.

Hope things continue on a positive note for you. Welcome!