Forums are back in action! ×

Starting again!

Hey there... I am totally new to NerdFitness, but it seems like a good place to become part of a encouraging community, which is what I think I need to get back on my journey!

I was not very active growing up - I was extremely fatigued since I had undiagnosed Celiac disease, which I discovered about 3.5 years ago. I am 29 now and have been feeling steadily healthier since going gluten-free! I feel even better when I stick to an almost-but-not-quite Paleo diet and as little sugar as possible, which I am trying to get better at maintaining.

So, with that increase in energy, I started trying to get into exercising in hopes that I can become stronger and have even more energy and stamina. I am thin (5"4.5" and ~115 lbs.), so for me this is really about gaining some muscle and strength, and feeling like I can be active for a while without getting winded or tired. I also think it will help with my struggles with depression and anxiety. I have an office job, so I don't get in much activity during work hours (although I may switch to a standing desk soon). Therefore, I need to make the effort to get fit outside of work, either outdoors or at a gym. I am finding that I don't want to go for a run once I am home, so in that way the gym seems better from a psychological/structural standpoint.

I was going running a few days a week over the winter, which was great, but then I slacked off (partly because I started studying for the GRE, which I'm taking on 7/27). My partner recently got me the FitBit Flex because I am a data nerd and I do better when I can quantify my progress on things! I was also using MyFitnessPal for entering food, which I will start doing again so that my FitBit records correct caloric balances. I am definitely a geek/nerd in other areas as well, which is part of what drew me to this particular community =P

So tonight I am going to the gym for the first time in months, and going to try to resurrect that feeling that I was getting when I was seeing progress before. Add to that the encouragement I hope to get from my new FitBit data and my connections on this site, and I think I might be able to stick with it this time!