Forums are back in action! ×

How do you deal with disruptions to your routine?

Hi guys, Ive been going to the gym and swimming 3 times a week (mon, weds, fri) for the last month or so and I've managed to not miss a session, this week however I'm on a training course in a town 2hrs commute away that starts at 9am and finishes at 5pm so its getting kind of late when I get home. Also I have a little admin job two evenings a week and due to the very imminent death of one of my cats I need to make up the time tomorrow night totally throwing off my routine.

Do you guys have any tips on how to gwt back into a routine after unforeseen circumstances forced you out of it?

(I realise that I may sound a bit mercenary about my cat but shes 22 and its been expected for quite sometime, please note I do love her very very much, Im just horrified that if I fall out of routine the whole thing will fall apart.)

The only way to enjoy anything in this life is to earn it first. - Ginger Rogers ~

I also run a nerdy movie blog ~

Here are three helpful steps that I like to follow when dealing with routines and habits!

1. Know and accept your limitations.

Will you be able to go swimming this week? Look at your situation honestly: can you squeeze in a few sessions, even if you're tired from work? Or will the pool be closed when you'd be able to go? Realistically appraise the situation, and take worries out of the picture. If outside factors are interrupting stuff...

2. If you can't do your normal thing, do something else, which is better than nothing.

Make a plan for the week. That's super important! Start with today. If you don't have time to go swimming, could you go for a walk instead? Can you go swimming, but on a different day than normal? Can you do some at home bodyweight exercises? Maybe some yoga stretches? Jumping jacks? Even if your normal routine is interrupted, making a plan for the weird week where you do just a little something every day will keep you focused on fitness and be better than letting it fall by the wayside. I write in things on a little schedule block if I have weirdness that throws off my schedule.

This step is really important for me. When I do something, I don't feel like I've blown it or let myself down if I'm not doing my normal thing. I still feel like I'm on track, just maybe taking a detour. :)

3. When your schedule normalizes, resume your normal activities.

If you've kept up with some activity, this part should be easier. Figure out when your schedule will settle back into a normal pattern and set a date to return to swimming 3x a week.

The thing that always derails me is when I just go, "Oh well, this week is blown, I'll start up next week." Modify what you're doing to fit your busy schedule, even if you can only do a little bit. You will keep your willpower and keep making fitness a habit. :)

I hope this has helped a little bit? Also, I'm really really sorry to hear about your cat. :( I love cats so much, I get really sad when bad stuff happens to them. Hang in there.

-Sarah

Twi'lek Assassin
Level 1
STR : 1 | DEX : 2 | STA : 1 | CON : 4 | WIS : 4 | CHA : 3
"The Sith won't let us hide. Besides, I'm tired of hiding -- being hunted. I'd rather be the hunter." -Shado Vao

Points 2 and 3 are key. Do what you can when you can while things are mucked up and resume once normality recovers.

A mindset to have through and after: Disruptions don't mean you lose all your hard earned gains and that you're starting from nothing, they just mean you pick up where you left off. 

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

making a plan for the weird week where you do just a little something every day will keep you focused on fitness and be better than letting it fall by the wayside.

This.

Also, it helps to have a routine that has some flexibility built in in the first place. I'm one of those people who likes doing All the Things so when I can't do one of the many activities/exercises I like to, I just do more of the others. So, if you can't go swimming and you decide to do some bodyweight exercises at home instead, it helps mentally if you've already been doing some bodyweight exercises around your main activity (swimming). In your difficult week you then just do less swimming and more bodyweight exercises (for example).

So sorry about your cat, too. 22 years is an amazingly long time and I'm sure she'll be much missed. But it's a really healthy attitude to acknowledge you're sad about it but not let it take over all the other aspects of your life. Not that that's always possible - but it's great if you can.

Questionable Hobbitʉۢ Level 0ʉۢ Aspiring Warrior

STR 0 â€¢ DEX 0 â€¢ STA 0 â€¢ CON 0 â€¢ WIS 0 • CHA 00

Challenge Log: Puddletheduck stops waddling and starts bouncing (flying will come later)0

"Life's too short to be fat and miserable."