Forums are back in action! ×

Time to stop the lurking...

So I've been in an on again off again relationship with this site.  I’ve been on it a lot recently so I figured I would post and stop being creepy.

My story is not terribly exciting.  I’m 6’2†~200lbs and I’m currently a network engineer in the military which means I spend a lot of time sitting in front of a computer screen.

I’ve always had a ton of hobbies, my current ones include gaming (mostly PC as I have a love/hate relationship with consoles), zymurgy, and woodworking.  I play music but I have yet to paid in anything except shitty beer. 

I played some sports badly back in school but I was never in good shape.  During college I got into lifting and quickly fell victim to broscience as is want to happen.

After a couple of years of lifting, I realized that I had almost no functional strength. I could get on a bench and push up weight but I couldn’t get on a pull-up bar and do five pull-ups. Not only that I found going to the gym was no longer an enjoyable experience.

I’ve found that I really enjoy bodyweight work so I really want to focus on that with some occasional free weights thrown in.

I find myself getting bored easily, and this site really seems like it could keep things interesting (Especially if Rising Heroes turns out to be as awesome as I expect it’s going to be).

I think there is something intuitive about the joining of nerdom and fitness.  The whole “life as an RPG†system really seems to work, especially with gamers.

tl;dr: Creepin’. I’m a person.  I like to do things.  Broscience is not science.  I suck at lifting myself but it seems fun.  Rising Heroes.  Gamification.

I like weights too, but you're right, bodyweight workouts are generally more functional.  So are you still going to the gym, or are you looking for more of an at-home thing?  There are quite a few at-home bodyweight/cardio based programs these days, plus there's always good old fashioned yoga.  I like both, plus like you said, having options keeps you from getting bored.

Had to look up "zymurgy".  That's cool, do you mostly brew beer?  That combined with the woodworking will make you very useful should we revert back to a medieval-type society (post-inevitable apocalypse).

So what are your fitness goals exactly?  Are you looking to increase strength, endurance, speed?  Are you trying to gain or lose?  Identifying your goals will help you figure out what program works best for you.

There is this gym where I work that is always empty and since I can usually go there during work I go then.  I used to go consistently but I’ve been slacking and I’ve just started to get back into the rhythm of it.  I do brew mostly beer but I also do mead and some foods like sauerkraut.  And while that and the woodworking may sound useful post-apocalypse, people who like to sit on dangerous furniture while drinking bad beer is a bit of a niche market.

As far as my fitness goals go, I would like to put on a little weight without losing the speed that normally comes with that.  I’m trying to set some movement based goals; I want to be able to do a muscle-up, a planche, and an L-sit before the year is up.

Archived