Forums are back in action! ×

Calling Science Nerds

Remember SETI@Home? Since then, lots of organizations have been seeking to use crowdsourcing to push their research forward. Here's one that I signed up for that's studying the genetic variations of egg-laying in nematodes. 

Researchers need the public's help in observing the behavior of tiny nematode worms. Citizen scientists visiting Wormwatchlab.org are shown a video of a worm wriggling around. The aim of the game is to watch and wait for the worm to lay eggs, and to hit the 'Z' key when they do. By watching these worms lay eggs, citizen scientists are helping to collect valuable data about genetics that will assist medical research.

If you're interested, give it a try! The tutorial takes less than 2 minutes. I've been watching 30 sec video clips of worms during the boring bits of teleconferences at work. 

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Heh. That's awesome! 

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

This is awesome. I love the idea of getting more people involved in science. We've been thinking about doing some crowd sourcing on the project I'm working on right now. Getting people to do some behavioural analysis of videos. So maybe if we get that set up I'll advertise here too. :)

Sounds cool! I agree, it's neat to get more people hand-on with current science. 

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."