Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdfitness and lifting newbie, would love some suggestions!

Hi!

I'm Genevieve, a 22 y.o Australian living in Melbourne, and writing things about myself makes me super awkward.

Like a lot of people, I've always been pretty self conscious about my weight. About 6 months ago I guess I reached the threshold of how much I could really give a shit about the scales and my desire to be 'skinny' dissolved into a much healthier desire to be strong instead. Since then I've been trying to collect all of the information I can (Nerdfitness has been an amazing resource), and recently started lifting. 

At the moment this is my workout breakdown: 

Jog 4 times a week (weekday jogs 3-5km, weekend jog 8-10km)

Day 1 and 5 (push workout):

Barbell - squat  3x12

Bench press    3x12

Dumbbell - walking lunge    3x12

Decline pushup    3x12

Dumbbell - shoulder press 3x12

Standing calf raise + dumbbell 3x12

Dumbbell - triceps extension 3x12

Day 3 and 6 (pull workout):

Chin up 3 sets til failure (around 2 or 3 reps at this point)

Barbell – deadlift 5x5

Dumbbell – one arm row 3x12

Barbell - upright row 3x12

Dumbbell – bicep curl 3x12

Jackknife sit up 3x12

Barbell – straight leg deadlift 3x12

Boxercise type class on day 2 and rest day 4 and 7.

Would love any feedback on number of reps/sets, choice of exercises, anything! My primary goal is strength. The running is just because I enjoy it.

Oh, and of course my nerd credits: Whovian, history buff, currently reading Malazan Book of the Fallen, love QI, strong desire to actually become Stephen Fry...

Looks like you're busting out your strength training like a boss! Awesomesauce!  Doesn't getting stronger feel great?!

I've been going about the business of lifting heavy things/ setting them down for about 3 years, give or take, and I think I might be able to help :-) 

If strength is what your going for, I'd suggest upping your weight and lowering your reps. I find I get some pretty nice strength gains from a 3-5 rep range. I wouldn't suggest training to failure, though. Find a weight that you can lift for that range that challenges you, but doesn't absolutely kill you. If you can't move afterward, you might want to lighten the load a bit. Also, I would suggest finding a mentor that can teach you some power lifting moves. They are great for strength gains, as well as developing speed and coordination. (And lifting all that weight over your head is definitely an adrenaline rush!) 

Lastly, and probably the most important: if you want to get strong, make time for recovery. It looks like you're doing a lot; that is wonderful :-) but make sure you're eating enough calories to sustain that kind of activity. Get lots of good quality sleep. Stretch those muscles too; I've always found that helps the DOMS go away faster. :-)

Anyhoo, hope this helps! Good luck! :-)

Thanks for the replies! Getting stronger feels so good, I can't believe that for years all I wanted was to be skinny and dainty. So glad my goals changed because my body is much more suited to strength than to daintiness anyway. 

And thanks for all the advice! I will drop my reps and increase sets, will also make sure I'm getting enough rest. 

Good luck with your goals ktmcg!

Archived