Forums are back in action! ×

First Ever Engine Repair!

I just turned 30 years old. I have a pretty good knowledge of science, computers, etc. But I have always lacked knowledge when it comes to engines. I do know how to change the oil/fluids etc, but when it came to actually doing something with the engine itself, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.

The other day at a yard sale I came across what appeared to be a brand new 5500 watt generator. It had gas, so I tried to start it, but it wouldnt fire up. The guy selling it said he did not use it very much and that he hadn't started it in 2 years.

I figured it just needed some fresh gas, a shot of starter fluid, and maybe a spark plug so I offered half of his already low asking price assuming he wouldn't take it. Well he took it. I got home, drained the tank, added fresh gas, replaced the plug, and PULLED. Then I pulled some more, and then some more. Nothing. Gave it a shot of starter fluid, it would run for a second and die. Well crap.

I thought about cutting my losses and selling it for what I paid for it, but decided to try to fix it myself. I decided it had to be the carburetor since it wasn't getting fuel. I carefully removed it, and took it apart on my work bench. It looked very clean, but there is was... One tiny little hole the size of a pin point was clogged. I blew it out with my air compressor, put it all back together and gave it another pull...

It fired up and ran on the first pull (WOOT)! I was so excited about it. This was my first time taking a carburetor apart, but won't be my last. I see a leaf blower in my garage that needs my new found knowledge applied to it...

PS I just sold the generator for 3x what I paid for it :)