Forums are back in action! ×

WTT: Old Ways for New Ways

Hello everyone!

My name is Jay and I'm excited to join this community and find others with the common goal of a healthier lifestyle. I'm 36 and really want to get my active/healthy lifestyle back on track. My short-term goals is to modify my eating habits to healthier choices and get back into an exercise routine that can fit around my work schedule. My medium-term goal is to keep up with the new eating habits and exercise schedule (I'm realistic and I know I will eat junk, but I want to keep it to a minimum). Long-term goal is to slim out and trim up so my moobs and belly doesn't shake so much when I mow the grass.   :nightmare:   My plan to squeeze workouts into my routine is to wake up early and get it done. Finding the motivation to get my body into a new routine is going to be my first battle..

I haven't always been stagnant and out of shape, from the years of 1995-2000 I served in the US Army (11b1pv) in a Long Range Surveillance Company on Ft. Bragg, NC. During that time I was at my peak for physical fitness, as it was easy to stay in shape when it was part of the job and surrounded by others motivated to push their bodies to the limits. I'm realistic and know that I won't be able to get back to that shape when I was in my 20's, but I'd like to get as close as possible. One of my biggest regrets is not maintaining my physique when I got out. It was too easy to sleep in, sit around and eat junk. With my lack of activity and new found hobby of being a lard-ass the weight caught up pretty quickly.

I currently work as a Paramedic and have been for the last 10 years. The unhealthy energy drinks, quick runs through the drive through to grab some chow between runs and sometimes awkward body mechanics to pull someone from a vehicle which cause aches and pains has led me to put on about 40 more pounds that I would like to get rid of. 

I started a track for fitness again about one year ago by signing myself up to run a half-marathon. I trained for 3 months leading up to it, ran the 13.1 miles in 2 hours 13 minutes (I was happy with it) and decided to take the next couple days off. Well those days turned into weeks, weeks to months and now I'm here back to square one.

I have a wife and 2 daughters and my wife and I would often run together, but she has gotten a new job and our free time doesn't mesh as well as it used to, so in order to get in runs or workouts we're on our own. What I'd like to find here are friends who may be in the same boat as me, who want their old body back and we can motivate and push each other to keep exercising. Hold each other accountable for missed workouts and slipping off the healthy food wagon. Or a group of people in this boat...   ;)

I'm also a computer geek, which is what initially drew me to this site. I'm working on starting my own computer business (building, upgrading, cleaning, et al) and am also an avid gamer. I was originally a FPS gamer (Counter-Strike, America's Army), but when my buddy gave me a trial disc for a little game called World of Warcraft I quickly became a MMORPG gamer..... I still rue the day I befriended him. The beginning of this year I finally called it quits with WoW and have been playing Rift here and there for my MMO fix. Now that it's free to play is an added plus. I also have Diablo 3, Neverwinter, Starcraft 2, Defiance, SWTOR and the betas for Firefall and Final Fantasy XIV currently installed on my computer. I'm eagerly awaiting WildStar and have a feeling that will be my next dose of virtual crack. I've come to the realization that I need to farm some fitness for myself before spending time in these virtual worlds.

Holy crap! Sorry for the wall of text here! I'll be lurking these forums and look forward to meeting you all!   :)

-Jay

Hello  Jay !

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

mmmmm counter-strike, I've been playing since 2002, no game has been able to make me play so much, probably logged over 9000 hours total (literally). 

ANYWAYS, welcome to the rebellion! If ever you need anything, let me know ^^

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

mmmmm counter-strike, I've been playing since 2002, no game has been able to make me play so much, probably logged over 9000 hours total (literally). 

ANYWAYS, welcome to the rebellion! If ever you need anything, let me know ^^

I fell in love with Half-Life when I played through it the first time somewhere in 99-00. When Counterstrike came out as it's own game I started playing that religiously until WoW sucked me in....

I've been tempted to pick up Battlefield 3, not sure if I should bother so close to Battlefield 4 coming out.

I did get bf3 à month ago it was 5 bucks for digital download

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173