Forums are back in action! ×

Week #1 Woot

So I joined up to this absolute gem of a gym just round the corner from where I live:

http://upgradedperformance.co.uk/

I've always wanted to get into strength training properly but have never wanted to be that bloke deadlifting in the corner  of the free weights section pissing off all the bro curl brah's and as a result I have only experienced the gym for about 4 months more than 18 months ago (and even that was bicep curls, isolation machines etc. etc.).  So this place is an absolute god send for me, as is my house (and best) mate who has decided to change his ways from standard gym bro rat and trust me and my enthusiasm for what I like to call "real strength training"

Anyway, the real woot here is the fact that our first session was last Friday and the owner of the gym has been teaching us the main lifts (Deadlift, Bench Press & Squat so far).  Each session starts off with the warm up, then we do 20 or so minutes of really getting to learn the lift technique with only the bar and then we start adding weight to find a good working weight for us before we foam roll and stretch off at the end.  What has made my week however is the fact that straight off the bat, these are my lifting stats (I had no idea I had any resemblance of strength):

Deadlift: 100KG (~225lb) - 3X5

Bench Press: 70Kg (~155lb) - 3X5

Squat: 100KG (~225lb) - 1X5 - Then dropped to 90KG (~200lb) for 2X5 (It was crazy hot and humid in the gym yesterday!)

I've been told that these are impressive for 1 week stats but I'm just more excited by the fact I ticked off two bucket list items (DL Bodyweight & Squat BW) in week 1 and can't wait to see just how strong I can get!