Forums are back in action! ×

Computer issues

Hey, can any of the computer nerds help me out?

I do most of my web surfing on a laptop, but I have a desktop that I built to play World of Warcraft on (I don't use it for anything else). My dad downsized about 8 months ago and let me "borrow" his 20" HP monitor. It's been working great for that time until the last few days.

2 days ago, I went to turn on my desktop and the monitor just stayed black. I could hear the computer booting up, and it made all the normal beeps as it did so, but the monitor stayed black. I hit the power button a few times, but the power button just flashed a blue light (it's solid blue when it's on, and solid yellow when it's off) and the screen stayed black. I rebooted the computer and it booted up fine, but the monitor was still black, then randomly the monitor popped on and there was my login screen. Monitor was fine the rest of the day.

Yesterday, I turned on the desktop again, same issue, screen is black, but tower boots up fine, makes all the normal beeps. I shut it down, disconnect the monitor, pull out my video card and go blow it off with an air hose, then hook it back up, monitor is still black. I hit the power button on the monitor over and over and over to no avail. Then again, totally randomly, the monitor pops on at my login screen about 30 minutes later.

Today, same issue, black screen for about 30 minutes and then the monitor pops on. This time however, while I was waiting, I took my old Sony monitor and hooked it up to the computer and it comes on instantly and is just fine. Now, why can't I just use my old sony monitor? Because it's tiny, only 15 inches...I want the big pretty 20" monitor :(

Now, the other odd thing is that once the monitor "warms up" and starts working in the morning, it continues to work fine all day, even if I reboot the computer, it doesn't take another 30 minutes to turn on.

Any idea what the issue could be with my HP monitor?

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

So, I had the computer on and left it while I went out shopping for a while, I was gone for a couple hours and the computer went into sleep mode, and once again, the monitor stayed blank when I tried to wake the computer up. I think it has something to do with the monitor not being able to "wake up" either when the computer is shut down or goes into sleep mode...

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

I rebooted the computer a couple times, the monitor just sits there black with the power light flashing. Computer works just fine with a different monitor. I can't even access the monitor menu, it's an HP 2009m. I hooked up the other monitor and set the computer to not go into sleep mode or hybernate, but the monitor still won't work. When I DC the video cable, the monitor pops up a message that says "Check Video Connection" then after a minute goes to sleep again (power button goes yellow like it is when the computer is turned off) The rest of the time the monitor is hooked up, the power button is flashing blue. When it's working normally, the power button is solid blue. Pushing or holding the power button or any of the menu buttons on the monitor does nothing.

This could be a problem with your drivers for your VGC, Monitor, or BIOS. I've experienced this several times on my laptop. Sometimes it's as simple as typing in your password (the login screen is there but your monitor doesn't "warm up" until after) and sometimes it's as complicated as going into the BIOS and re-setting the drivers to when it worked. Just try typing in your password when it boots up (if you have a login screen) if that doesn't work then I'd start looking into your drivers (for everything). Might just be a driver error, or it could just be your monitor dying out.

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

typing in my password on the login screen does not help. I don't know how to reset the bios or check what drivers I have installed...