Forums are back in action! ×

Keeping a Challenge Alive

Hello Everyone,

Found this site while trying to find some new workouts for my daily workout group and figured I stick around. So I guess I should intrude myself.

My Name is Matthew Tape and I’ve been over weight for as long as I can remember. I’ve been to lots of gyms and on many diets, with little to no results. Hit as high as 402 lbs back in 2010. Doctors even tried talking me in to getting surgery to help out, but figured I would give it one last try. Was about able to lose 50 pounds on my own, but my wife hurt her knee and my walking partner was out of commission, so I went back to my old ways.

Which brings me to January 1, 2012; the day that changed how I want to live my life. I was back up to 380lbs and a local trainer (Ben) started a city wide challenge. He wanted to get are city (Chatham, Onatario, Canada) of 44,074 people to lose 12 tons of weight in 2012. He even took the cost of it out and offered a daily boot camp for free. I was one of the few people that started with the 8am class. We had people come and go, but two of us stuck with it. It’s sad to say but we didn’t make the goal, due to a number of things. But I was able to lose 84 lbs. by attending Hundreds of Boots Camps, Ran 2 x ½ Marathons, 3 x 10 Kms & 3 x 5 Kms Runs. More than I thought I would ever think I could do.

On, January 1, 2013, I started running the class, letting anyone that wanted to come out work out at the gym he was providing for free. Did a pay it forward type thing. Gave him the time off and try to help others that were in my shoes. Last month he had to close the gym so now I use local parks to keep the movement alive.

Now that gives you a very quick background on what got me here. Looking for new ideas to keep my group moving, helping them lose weight or just train for a run that they signed up for. Trying to keep what Ben started alive. So I’ll be around, on and off, always looking for ways to keep people moving.

Feel Free to check out my Quest. I’ve been trying to keep a blog of everything I’ve done @ Canadiantape.com or Look me up on myfitnesspal or fitbit as MTapester

Heck if you are around Chatham Ontario, let me know.

--

Matthew Tape

Chatham-Kent, On

www.canadiantape.com

Archived