Forums are back in action! ×

Welding Class

Last week I completed the first of three classes I need to earn my AWS Welding Certification and make a career change. At the end of the last class the teacher asked me to stay late.  When everyone else was gone he told me confidentially that once I completed the courses and got certified he would do his best to get me started in the industry since I seem to have a knack for it.

It would appear I truly have the Dwarfish talent for forging and crafting hot metal!!

That's awesome dude! With all the hours you need to put in for everything, it must be paying off! You'd be impressed on the welds we do here sometimes (maybe). We manufacture hydraulic cylinders of all sizes (up to 24" bore) and one cylinder in perticular had 4, 2 3/8", 30° welds to do (butt welds with the plate perpendicular having the 30° bevel) full penetration welds. They took about 75-85 passes in an 8 hour shift to complete one (so 3 cylinders, with 4 welds like that each = 12x8 = 96 hours just for those welds lol). Those welds then went to full ultrasound and magnetic tests, they're insane lol. For me, as a quality assurance engineer, I'm happy they're out of the shop and the customer is happy xD

Good luck getting a good job and going where ever you want to go with this! :)

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Ah welding. It's quite possibly one of the great unsung art forms. I worked steel construction a bit when I was younger and the master welder on the crew was nothing short of an artist. Definitely a high valued skill that is in short supply these days. 

Best of luck with it X :) 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle