Forums are back in action! ×

Obviously a newbie...

Hello fitness nerds!

This is the first time I have joined a community like this but I am definitely excited about it. 

I suppose I should start by talking a little bit about myself...

I am PhD student in Theoretical/Quantum Chemistry which basically means I sit on my butt in front of a computer all day and run simulations. Don't get me wrong I love my job (If you can call it a job?) - however it has been a challenge to stay active. I love playing board games, video games, D&D and reading Sci-Fi books (so again the sitting on my butt all the time).

I gained a total of 25-30 lbs since high school and developed less desirable eating habits (living on Kraft dinner and Mr. Noodle probably didn't help) as well as smoking.

In the last year, I was finally able to break the vicious cycle and lose 30 pounds. I have also managed to quit smoking more recently and that resulted in me gaining back a few pounds that I had lost originally.

My goal is to improve my overall fitness and diet. I also have enjoy doing CrossFit exercises and would like to finally Rx a WOD for once! I am hoping that being here will provide me with the support of fellow nerds who are working on leading a healthier and more active life. So I guess thats me  :redface-new:

Welcome to the Rebellion!! I'm glad to see that you've taken some MAJOR steps towards living a healthy life! I bet you'll find plenty of other nerds that do crossfit that you can chat with and ask for advice. And I must say that you having a PhD in Chemistry is fantastic, although Chemistry isn't my favorite subject, I'm glad to see that you love your job! What video games do you play, if you don't mind my asking?

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Hi !!!! And wellcome ! Glad you joined ! Here lots of nerdy and brainy people getting  active, and all over the world :P !

Level up mgedik!

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

I just finished playing The Last of Us which was amazing and now I'm back to playing Skyrim. I enjoyed Mass Effect, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed (I got bored after Brotherhood), Portal, but my favourite series would have to be Metal Gear Solid hands down. I have not played MMOs very much as I fear I will spend way too much time on them... 

Can I assume that you as well are an avid gamer? What video games do you like? 

I truly can't believe I can talk about video games and fitness all on the same site, so excited to be here!

I just finished playing The Last of Us which was amazing and now I'm back to playing Skyrim. I enjoyed Mass Effect, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed (I got bored after Brotherhood), Portal, but my favourite series would have to be Metal Gear Solid hands down. I have not played MMOs very much as I fear I will spend way too much time on them... 

Can I assume that you as well are an avid gamer? What video games do you like? 

I truly can't believe I can talk about video games and fitness all on the same site, so excited to be here!

Ha ha ha! I know, it's weird, right!? You know, now that I'm a poor graduate, I only know OF those games, like, I'm dying to rent the Last of Us, and AC, but I started playing when I was much younger. I am (if you haven't already guessed) an avid Final Fantasy Fan, I've played nearly every game before FF X. I like RPG's, Halo, Mario Bros, Dragon Warrior, Chrono Trigger, Megaman, Legend of Zelda, Arkham games, Devil May Cry. 

So as you can see, my interests in games is pretty diverse, if not, random :P

I've gotta ask you what made you decide on getting a Ph.D in Quantum Chemistry? I ask this because I'm a Bio major, and Chemistry is my least favorite subject, right next to History.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Ha ha ha! I know, it's weird, right!? You know, now that I'm a poor graduate, I only know OF those games, like, I'm dying to rent the Last of Us, and AC, but I started playing when I was much younger. I am (if you haven't already guessed) an avid Final Fantasy Fan, I've played nearly every game before FF X. I like RPG's, Halo, Mario Bros, Dragon Warrior, Chrono Trigger, Megaman, Legend of Zelda, Arkham games, Devil May Cry. 

So as you can see, my interests in games is pretty diverse, if not, random :tongue:

I've gotta ask you what made you decide on getting a Ph.D in Quantum Chemistry? I ask this because I'm a Bio major, and Chemistry is my least favorite subject, right next to History.

You definitely do have diverse interests when it comes to video games but I will say that the ones you have listed are ones that I have either played or wanted to play. 

Funny you should mention Bio, as it turns out my Bachelor degree was a double major in Biological Sciences and Chemistry. I have to credit my chosen career path to my professor/current supervisor. I fell in love with Quantum Chemistry when I took his course as an undergraduate. I did a summer internship with him studying biological molecules using quantum chemical calculations and I was hooked! I think the reason I chose to get a PhD in this field is due to how diverse and interdisciplinary it is - I use Physics, Math, Biology and Chemistry for my research and I find it challenging but extremely rewarding at the same time.

Most people I know seem to dislike Chemistry as a subject, I have not quite figured out why this is...

If you don't mind me asking what are you doing for work now?

You definitely do have diverse interests when it comes to video games but I will say that the ones you have listed are ones that I have either played or wanted to play. 

Funny you should mention Bio, as it turns out my Bachelor degree was a double major in Biological Sciences and Chemistry. I have to credit my chosen career path to my professor/current supervisor. I fell in love with Quantum Chemistry when I took his course as an undergraduate. I did a summer internship with him studying biological molecules using quantum chemical calculations and I was hooked! I think the reason I chose to get a PhD in this field is due to how diverse and interdisciplinary it is - I use Physics, Math, Biology and Chemistry for my research and I find it challenging but extremely rewarding at the same time.

Most people I know seem to dislike Chemistry as a subject, I have not quite figured out why this is...

If you don't mind me asking what are you doing for work now?

Which ones haven't you played yet? Now a days you can play these games in nearly anything, I replayed Chrono Trigger on my smart phone :P (good times, good times)

Wow, Double major! So you were really the go-getter! I'm amazed! I barely got my one major. Life was always interesting during school, so I struggled just to get what I got :P But I'm glad to see that you're passionate about it! I always love seeing people so passionate about science! You know what's funny? Each professor in a particular field would say that their field is the center of all sciences, when in the end, people use nearly every field of science to get things done! 

Well, for me, it's mainly Organic Chemistry, my mind can't get a firm grasp on those molecular reactions, no matter how hard I try! Maybe that's just me...

Well, right now, I'm in a sort of transitions of things, I'm trying to apply to medical school, so I'm begging for a part-time job while also going back to school to get a Minor in Spanish as well as re-take some of the classes I didn't do so well in. So if that didn't make sense, then I'm a professional Bum :P

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Which ones haven't you played yet? Now a days you can play these games in nearly anything, I replayed Chrono Trigger on my smart phone :tongue: (good times, good times)

Wow, Double major! So you were really the go-getter! I'm amazed! I barely got my one major. Life was always interesting during school, so I struggled just to get what I got :tongue: But I'm glad to see that you're passionate about it! I always love seeing people so passionate about science! You know what's funny? Each professor in a particular field would say that their field is the center of all sciences, when in the end, people use nearly every field of science to get things done! 

Well, for me, it's mainly Organic Chemistry, my mind can't get a firm grasp on those molecular reactions, no matter how hard I try! Maybe that's just me...

Well, right now, I'm in a sort of transitions of things, I'm trying to apply to medical school, so I'm begging for a part-time job while also going back to school to get a Minor in Spanish as well as re-take some of the classes I didn't do so well in. So if that didn't make sense, then I'm a professional Bum :tongue:

You are absolutely right Red, 

Every professor I have ever talked to says their field is the most important or contributes the most etc., with the exception of my supervisor - maybe that is the reason I chose him as a  supervisor. Ironically, I also struggled in Organic Chemistry when I took it initially I hated it - I realized I just needed to be in the lab to get a better grasp of the concepts. In fact I did better in the lab sections than the lecture so it is strange that I ended up in theory and not experiment  :smile-new:

Wow medical school that is quite a challenge! I think I would consider myself a bum as well - all I have done is part time jobs and go to school for the last 6-7 years. Best of luck with your goals - it sounds like you will do great and thank you for the warm welcome!

You are absolutely right Red, 

Every professor I have ever talked to says their field is the most important or contributes the most etc., with the exception of my supervisor - maybe that is the reason I chose him as a  supervisor. Ironically, I also struggled in Organic Chemistry when I took it initially I hated it - I realized I just needed to be in the lab to get a better grasp of the concepts. In fact I did better in the lab sections than the lecture so it is strange that I ended up in theory and not experiment  :smile-new:

Wow medical school that is quite a challenge! I think I would consider myself a bum as well - all I have done is part time jobs and go to school for the last 6-7 years. Best of luck with your goals - it sounds like you will do great and thank you for the warm welcome!

Me? Right? Nah, I just make good guesses :P

Ha ha ha, I always did good in labs! It was the best part of those science classes, Lecture? I'm dozing off, but Lab? I'm running back and forth running around the most dangerous of bacteria with a grin on my face! ^_^

Heh heh, it's the ULTIMATE challenge!... Literally, I mean if I mess up 1 thing, that's someone's life! But I love medicine and as strange as it sounds, I love being in the hospital, to wake up knowing that everyday I'm making a positive difference in someone's life. Which is also one of the main reasons why I'm here, What kinda doctor would I be if I'm 50 lbs overweight telling someone else to lose 10 lbs? Ha ha ha, a Theoretical/Quantum Chemistry Professor is hardly a bum! I bet you rock at playing chess :P Good luck with your future goals, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm always around!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler