Forums are back in action! ×

Big Successes. Big Failures. Heave-ho.

Hi, Everyone!

I just decided to join the Nerd Fitness rebellion today, after spending a lot of time on the website yesterday and this morning.  I'm leaning towards the "Assassin" group, but I am pulled toward the Rangers, too.  It's a tough choice!

Anyway - about me?  I'm 30 years old (not sure how that happened!) and from Chicago, IL.  At my highest, I weighed 190 pounds.  I had dropped down to about 170 pounds in college, but not by being exactly "healthy" (I wasn't eating very much, but doing a lot of physical activity).  I gained back 80 pounds, then a few years later went to graduate school and lost some weight again (about 40 pounds).

Two years ago, I decided to get serious and really learn as much as possible about nutrition (not diet!) and exercise as I could.  I started counting calories, checking labels, etc., and I completed programs like p90x, Body Revolution, Zumba, and more.  For a year or so, I was really on track, and I went from 254 pounds to 180... this time, doing it the right way!  I built a bit of muscle, lost a lot of fat, and was in pretty decent shape. 

Then, a couple of things happened.  First, I went to a surgeon to discuss skin removal surgery.  He said I was an excellent candidate for it, having lost so much weight and having gained quite a bit of muscle.  But insurance refused to pay for it (which, I hear, is common).  I got incredibly discouraged - I worked so hard for so long, finally got to a point where I was feeling generally good about myself, but still couldn't take off my shirt (looked even worse, kinda, than when I was just fat).  It was a serious psychological and emotional downer.

In addition, a few months after that (August 2012), I went back to school for my Ph.D.  I've completed my first year and am starting my second year in a few weeks.  During my first year, I gained back 30 pounds!  I'm terrified that it's going to happen again, which is why I'm here - looking for something that really fits my personality. 

Anyway, right now I weigh in at 212 pounds.  My ultimate goal is to get to be around 150 (I'm 5'4") and to really, really lower my body fat percentage and build muscle.  I don't plan to lift heavy, because I'm not interested in bulking up.  But I do want to be lean, agile, and eclecticly active. 

I'm starting the first 6-week challenge next week, and I'll be following the Playground Workout routine (which I've modified for myself into a 3-phase, 90-day program of increasing difficulty).  I recently moved and can no longer workout at home (which is where I was doing 75% of my exercise) nor can I afford a gym membership, being a full-time student. 

That's a really long story - sorry!  Guess I had a lot to get out and off my shoulders.

Level 2 Janni Assassin

Current Attributes: STR: 4 | DEX: 4 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 4

Link to Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33702-adamb83-time-to-rebel-against-failure/

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." -Henry David Thoreau

Welcome Adam!

I'll be doing my first 6-week challenge next week as well.  :encouragement:

Riskva

Level 1 Wild-Elf (wannabe) Rebel, training to find my guild in the Rebellion. 

STR - | DEX - | STA - | CON - | WIS - | CHA - 

Wanderlust and Fitness from Cairo to Seattle - FIRST CHALLENGE

Full Metal Penquins - My super cool accountabilibuddies

"We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect. "

Archived