Forums are back in action! ×

On April 26, 2008 I stepped on the scale and it came back with a groan and a reading of 278 pounds. Over the subsequent three years I lost weight by using each of the following methods at various times:

• Starving myself
  • Riding a stationary bike three times a week
  • Doing the Couch to 5K program
  • Completing the Insanity workout series
  • Taking up the 4 Hour Body diet
  • Training for and running a marathon

On March 10, 2011 I reached my goal weight of 178 pounds. My body fat percentage was 13.8 (I spent $50 and went to get it tested in the BodPod). I was extremely happy with my results. Yet I still didn't have the definition I wanted. Nor was I down to the body fat percentage I wanted. But I persevered. I kept running and knew that I needed to focus on marathon training and not weight loss.

Then, in late April, with three weeks until the marathon, I sustained a bad foot injury. The doctor put me in a boot, and I couldn't work out for two weeks. I didn't change my eating habits at all. I still completed the marathon, using a run/walk approach. Unfortunately, I had put back on a decent amount of weight. Say what you will about not outrunning your fork, but when you are running 25-30 miles a week and suddenly stop, that makes a difference.

Yet I didn't beat myself up over it. I mean, I had just run a freakin marathon. So I didn't mind a little extra weight. I figured I could take it off when my training resumed. Then a couple weeks after the marathon I went to put on one of my suits, and it was too tight.

Enough was enough.

I stepped on the scale and saw that I was back up to 189. Unacceptable. So I finally ponied up the money for the NF Strength Guide, and decided to give it a whirl. I'm trying my best at the paleo thing. I didn't mind being on the 4 Hour Body the first few weeks, but it got pretty boring after a while. I'm hoping I have better luck here. I think my plan is to allow a couple cheat meals during the week. I know that will increase the time it takes to hit my goals. But it's been three years. I don't mind tacking on an extra month or so if I enjoy it more.

Goals:

Sub 10% body fat

More definition

Run a 4:15-4:25 marathon in November.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross