Forums are back in action! ×

Morning from way down yonder in New Orleans! :)

First, my "nerd" creds:

I built my own PC during my sophomore year in college. This was a long time ago...with no training, no classes, no techie to help me and before Google existed. Be impressed!

Two of my favorite TV shows of all time are Doctor Who and MST3k.

Hitchhiker's Guide is one of my all-time favorite movies.

I love Fringe, X-Files, & Superhero movies.

I used to have a huge crush on Worf back in the day.

Where I am with fitness:

I've been significantly overweight since high school, though I started getting heavier than normal in junior high. I stopped being active when I was about 15 and pretty much did nothing but sit and eat for the next 20 years or so. About 4 years ago, I started having a desire to run, but was too scared to try. I was convinced I would have a massive heart attack or break a hip on the track. But, finally, after about a year or so of being afraid, I gave it a go. And, guess what? I didn't die! Or break anything! I kept at it for about 5 months and lost 50 lbs. Then I just stopped. I still really don't know why. Almost 6 months ago, in an effort to combat chronic migraines, I changed my diet...eliminating sugar and highly processed/refined foods (anything white, in a bag/box, or that didn't require me to exit my vehicle to purchase). Then, about 2 months ago, I started my run/walk program again. In the course of this most recent effort, I've lost 62 lbs and have had only 2-3 migraines (usually because I messed up with food in some way). But, I have a really long way left to go and know I need to kick things up a notch to make it to the summit of this mountain of a weight-loss/health journey. 

Why I'm here:

Like I said, I knew I needed something to give me a little push and help me formulate a plan that will see me through to the end of the weight-loss leg of this journey. I really liked what I read on this site. Honestly, I have kind of become obsessed with it. I'm hoping the information they put up and, perhaps, some accountability/help from some of you fine people will be just what I need to achieve my goals.

What are my goals, you ask?:

Well, at my highest, I out-weighed most linebackers...and I'm 5'4". So...that's embarrassing and, well, really hard. So, my top goal, and a real necessity for me to do anything else is to get this weight off. How much? I honestly have no idea. I haven't been a "normal weight/size" as an adult, so I have no clue what I should be.

But, I don't want to just be skinny...I want to be healthy and strong!! I want to be able to run for real. I want to do a cartwheel again. I want to dance at a wedding without being a sweaty, gross mess after the first song. I want to cross my legs. I want to do a chin-up. I want to do so many things...without fear...and with confidence.

So that's just a little snapshot of me and where I am right now. If this resonates with anyone and you need some accountability, too, I'm game. If any of you are from the New Orleans area and want to connect...feel free. It'd be nice to have some fellow nerd friends who also know what it is like to live surrounded by gumbo and fried chicken and po-boys all day long. ;)

-Tina2.0