Forums are back in action! ×

Hi folks,

It looks like my turn to join the parade of newbies that seems to be rolling through! Nice place you got here!

I like the tone of this board (my username is the clan of the tabletop RPG character I've been playing off and on for close to a decade now), and I'm hoping to give a little encouragement and get a little accountability.

I'm experienced in the gym -- I trained seriously for five or six years before getting bored with a mostly bodybuilding-style approach, getting a night job, and getting to know the young men and women at the drive-thru on a first-name basis.

I've weighed about 240 for, oh, eight or nine years now, but I started within spitting distance of bodybuilding contest bodyfat levels, and my calipers put me at just under 23% bodyfat today.

So there's plenty of work to do. Mostly in the kitchen. I'm having fun training again, which is wonderful, and I've been semi-consistent for maybe six months, but I'm missing workouts here and there, so I'm going to start posting my log here so folks can call me out. (My lovely wife, while incredibly encouraging, just doesn't care all that much whether I make my planned squat weight or take an unscheduled off day!) Not that you do either, but there's a better chance you'll understand. :P

Goals! I like goals!

In the immediate, the goal in consistency; I will plan and complete three weight sessions per week, and do something fun and active (Bike ride? Sprints? Kettlebell swings?) on three off days per week.

Medium to longer term goals include:

- 10-percent bodyfat. I need to clean things up before I can do much of anything else. Assuming I can preserve my current lbm of 187ish pounds (243-[243*.23]) that should happen around 210. So I have roughly thirty pounds to lose. I think I can do that by the end of the year.

- Double-bodyweight deadlift. I've lost a lot of strength, but I think I'll see quick gains until I get into the neighborhood of my previous bests.

- 1.5-bodyweight full squat. Same deal.

- 20 consecutive pullups. I think this is the most ambitious goal by far given my size and the fact that I can only do one full one right now.

So here we go! Let's do this!