Forums are back in action! ×

Giving my genetics the finger

Hey all,

I have been reading through the blog and seeing alot of things I like and realizing what my workouts have been missing.

Let's start at the beginning:

I have a genetic history of devastating heart disease (my father was the first male to make it to 50 in seven generations, possibly 8 the history gets a little hazy), family history of colorectal cancer, and the cherry on top of it is that if I make it to 60 plus there is a a family history of Alzheimers. In the blog the words living up to our genetic potential are mentioned in multiple places.

You know what screw that. This is one of the few points where Steve and I are on different pages. My genetic history blows. I have no intention of living up to my genetics, I have every intention of living up to my expectations, which is well above that genetic crap shoot. Yes, I realize Steve and I are probably on the same page, but living up to my genetic potential conjures negative images.

Anyways enough of my rant. Playing of the concepts outlined in the blog

My level 50 character:

Is someone in great shape, with a six pack (yes this is slightly for aesthetics but there is also a big finger to my family history with this), in a job that is fulfilling and rewarding, bilingual (at least), able to play guitar. Have a life full of great adventures, stories, and friends, with a list that is twice as long that I still want to complete. There is more here that I have written down but I don't have it on me and in the nebulous it is ever changing.

There are many steps I need to take to get to that level and I realize this. One of the first steps is dropping my weight down. Since reading this I have switched from being Pescetarian to Paleo. I still only eat fish but I have dropped the grains entirely.

Starting weight (2 weeks ago): 193

Current weight (7/1/11): 177

Goal weight: 165lbs

This weight drop has been from only a diet shift. I have yet to start a workout routine. I kind of needed the mental advantage of knowing that my diet is effective and will work regardless. I didn't realize this until after I had started and things were working. Its amazing the moments of clarity that come in retrospect.

Anyways, I had been hanging around here for a while and felt the community would be a great next step for me to continue to be motivated. I am seeking ideas for a workout plan, pulling some from the blog and just trying to find something that will be fun. Yes I realize there are the guides on here, but I am flat broke and currently can't spare the extra money while I scrape, budget, save for my upcoming adventures, oh yea and grad school.

I would also be missing a key goal if I did not mention this. I am looking to run a 5k in November, I want to run this in a PR sub 24:00, but more importantly I want to raise as much awareness for colon cancer as possible . It is a race where you get to run in your underwear through a downtown area with a bunch of other equally fun and crazy people. Here is a link to my page: http://support.ccalliance.org/site/TR/5K/UndyNEW?px=1216472&pg=personal&fr_id=1450 . I don't know if its violating rules (oh well) putting it on here, but I would love for a ton of people to join me (I think some people on here live in ATL) or join other races in their cities.

Anyways, thanks for reading my rambling.

-A

Welcome on board. I've been playing guitar for about 8 years now and I'd recommend you go out an grab a cheap guitar (acoustic or electric, your preference) and just start playing. When I started playing I used to just sit at the computer with my guitar, IMing friends and just playing Iron Man and Smoke on the Water over and over and over and over. I'd also recommend you check out this site, it's got a lot of great resources: www.justinguitar.com

@Centurion:Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations of where to get/look for a cheap acoustic, and what I should be looking for in it? Its going to take me sometime to start this as I need to save the cash.

Somewhere online is probably your best bet. You don't need anything fancy to start with. If you look on any music website they'll have beginner package guitars that won't cost much and will do you fine for learning on. Once you get a bit better then you can invest in a decent guitar for the long haul. If you have a look on Harmony Central you should be able to find a review for pretty much any guitar you can find. Something like this:

http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Value-Package-Acoustic-Guitars/SA-100-Upgrade-Acoustic-Guitar-Pack-Natural.site7sku485355000010000.sku

would be a good shout

Crooked,

I was reading some other posts and learned you have come from a similar eating background as me, veg head (high carb, bean, tofu stuff), and now only eat fish. Any recommendations on recipes, places to look for those, or ways to save money on the fishes? I am finding myself wanting a bit more variety at times and I am struggling on the creative aspects of it. Thanks in advance.

-A

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to go from here on the boards, based on my goals above? I have been doing some poking around but it feels like idle wandering and not effective information gathering? Much like going to the gym I want my time on here to be as effective as possible. Thanks.

-A

I am looking to run a 5k in November, I want to run this in a PR sub 24:00, but more importantly I want to raise as much awareness for colon cancer as possible . It is a race where you get to run in your underwear through a downtown area with a bunch of other equally fun and crazy people.

Wait a minute...you get to run in your underwear? I am, like, so there. :-)

For the guitar-playing, I always recommend getting the best instrument you can afford, as the guitar itself will be the thing that inspires you. Craigslist is a great place to look for decent instruments, and a good guitar just gets better the more it is played. El dinero is always a factor, though, so don't hurt yourself. :-)

Good luck to you and welcome!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log