Forums are back in action! ×

Around-the-World for a Year

Hey ya-all!

I'm Samathematics (Sami for short) and I'm from Florida. I've visited Japan, Ireland, Germany, Italy, France, Hawaii, the Bahamas, and most of the U.S. I do NOT know any other language other than some high school level French.

At the end of this year I will be debt free! (Good bye, loans!) Next year I will start saving up for my Around-the-World trip which I plan to do for about 1 year starting June or July.

Some (but not all) of my goals for this trip:

• Work for my board and food when I can.
  • Visit every continent.
  • Specific places: New Zealand, Seoul, Chile, Brazil (Amazon), Cape Town, (Am I brave enough for Egypt?), Iceland, Scotland
  • Travel Hack? (I just need to learn how...)

I thought I would ask for a little help on my planning. Where would you visit if you were me and why?

Hello! Um, I'm pretty sure I can help you there. you can check out my skills at www.travelingcreative.com - my site is based around Europe, but I am from New Zealand. So I could help you out there?

If I were you? I don't really know who you are! What interests you? What were the most interesting places you've already visited on your travels and why?

I'm thinking of a year long trip with my little family next july too. Definitely going to New Zealand for the summer! I hope 6 months long!

• Like 1

Lvl 5 Mermaid Hobbit Assassin

STR 7.5 / DEX 8 / STA 6.5  / CON 14 / WIS 12 / CHA 10

"Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

Current Challenge

I just went to Egypt! I missed the revolution, but on off revolution time there are still protests but you really don't have to worry about them, just be smart, don't wander into anywhere unless you know the risk.  But it is really wonderful! I went with my Egyptian so I experienced barely any harassment. If you do go, go with someone (better if it was a guy, even better if it was an Arab),  Under those circumstances there is really nothing to be afraid of, in fact if you aren't bothered by harassment then it is really ok, just most people get uncomfortable.

Otherwise visit the Balkans, super cheap there and really beautiful, I have been to Kosovo and Macedonia, I really recommend Skopje it is beautiful!

In terms of working for board, take a look into farms, most city places it would be more difficult but a lot of farms always appreciate help, are super nice and give you a whole different view of the country.

• Like 1

Congratulations on being debt free! I think travelling the world is a wonderful idea! My husband took a position at his work that is 2 years of working in a random country for 5 months at a time and a month in between in Switzerland. He has worked in Indonesia, Nigeria and now the northern UK. This has given us a great opportunity to travel. In one year, I went from never leaving the US (besides Mexico) to visiting Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, UK (England and Scotland), Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Switzerland. It has been such an amazing experience to be able to see so many different places! 

I would definitely add Thailand to your list. I absolutely loved it. I thought Bangkok was fine but lots of people hate it. We spent most of our time in Chiang Mai and it was amazing. We didn't do the "beachy" side of Thailand and stuck to the the mainland, but if you like beaches it is supposed to be gorgeous. The mainland is wonderful if you like culture and temples and of course the food is to die for! If you want more information let me know!

Please be careful about Egypt. The political situation seems to be getting worse and worse and even though it might be okay now, things like this can turn very quickly. I'm not saying don't go, as I haven't really looked into it much, I'm just saying to make sure to do your research and figure out where you should and shouldn't go. 

If you want my opinions on any of the places that I listed above, let me know! I hope you have an amazing time! In my opinion, travel is one of the best things you can do for your personal growth! You gain so much more perspective. 

Some travel-related sites that may be helpful: 

-www.tripadvisor.com   Your new best friend for recommendation on restaurants, accommodation, things to do
-www.vrbo.com   Here you can find apartments/rentals as an alternative to hotels/hostels sometimes you can find really amazing deals, especially in the off seasons
-www.couchsurfing.com   I haven't done this myself, but I have heard good things about it from friends who have tried it.
-www.agoda.com   Hotel booking site that sometimes has really good deals.

That's all I can think of for now. : )

Hiya! Sounds like a dream plan! I am here in Scotland studying right now, but I am Finnish by nationality. Scotland definately should be on that list. Depending on when you are going to hit Europe changes where you should go. If you are coming on less cold times of the year ýou should pop to Glasgow's night life and then visit Loch Ness to spot Nessie! But during colder times Edinburgh is BEAUTIFUL!also rarely have i seen anything so cool as the Cairngorms national park all snowy in normally snowless Scotland. Of course there are also the islands like Isle of Lewis and Isle of Sky that are worth seeing. 

Of course I have to always say that if you are planning on Iceland, why not take it easier and go to other Nordic countries? FInland is an odd one with our language being one of the toughest in the world but Swedish people are happy and perky and love love love foreigners. In the north you can see northern lights and lapland and in the south there are Stockholm and other lovely cities that are the homes of many US stars(like Will Smith eg.) proving that you can survive with English just fine!

Also I have visited SE Asia so if that will be in your travel list I would advice you to do a trip to at least Koh Tao and Chiang Mai in Thailand and All of Vietnam!

Hopes you will have an ace trip!

I have done couchsurfing quite often through Couchsurfing.org, it's a great way to not only save on hotels, but to actually see the countries differently.

My hosts have always been great at pointing me in the right direction. From explaining how the subway and bus system works in Paris, to the great places to see and the cool things to do in other places. I ended up doing skygliding in Geneva, Switzerland, on the recommandation of a host there. This was defenitly not on my list and it's one of my best memories.

And of course, it's always nice to have locals to socialize with!

I've done some travel in Europe and the two cities that I'd return to over and over are Copenhagen and Barcelona. They are great places with lots to see and do.

One tip, decide why you want to do your trip before you plan your trip. I like good food and photography, nature and cityscape. So when I plan a trip I look for places that offer me the opportunity to take some great pictures and eat food that I can't eat at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD