Forums are back in action! ×

Morning all. My name is Steve, I'm 26 years old and live in Newcastle Australia. I recently finished university after a painful 6 years of pure mathematics. I used to be a very athletic person, playing field hockey at a national level. While at university though, the things I primarily learned were how to procrastinate, chain smoke, drink endless amounts of beer and do little to no exercise.

After leaving university I decided that I wished to pursue a career in the Air Force. So what this meant was I had to switch my training from the mastered "sit on couch, stand up grab beer, sit on couch - repeat set 12 times" routine to something a little healthier.

My primary motivation is not so much getting fitter for the Air Force, but rather having a much more physically demanding and healthier lifestyle. And I think this is one of the reasons the Forces appeal to me - it's not just a job, it's a lifestyle surrounded by people with that similar drive to push a little further.

Currently my goals are focused around strength, endurance and speed. So I am currently working on upper body strength exercises (trying to do a little better each time) and some interval training (where the years of smoking and drinking really show their true colours).

The main thing I have to work on though is the psychology. I have to move from the mindset of procrastination and laziness (thank you maths!) into more focused and driven. And although the motivation is certainly there, I believe this will be one of the hardest things to conquer in order to succeed at my goals.

I stumbled upon Nerd Fitness the other day and was quite blown away by it. Steve is doing a terrific job, and no site or community has appealed to me anywhere near as much as this site.

I thank you guys for allowing me into your community, and I look forward to communicating with like-minded people.

Thanks

Steve (aka Blacky)