Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdy Diabetic Recruit

Hi there everyone, I'm Maggie.

I started off my adult life with goals of being healthier, working out on a regular basis, and maintaining a good weight for myself. As most people who have ever been in college know, these are all a LOT easier said than done.

Finally, after turning 21 and realizing I was over 250 lbs, I decided that this was the big change I needed to make. I started eating 5-6 small meals a day, with whole grains and some fats and stuff, working out several times a week doing some strength training and cardio, and then something amazing happened - the weight began flying off my body. I literally lost 100 lbs in a year.

Unfortunately, this was because I was horrendously ill, not because of a fantastic diet and exercise regimen (which included drinking TONS of water). I found out in October 2011 that I had Type 1 Diabetes AND Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. These things were what contributed to my spectacular weight drop.

After doing what the doctors told me - eating a decent amount of carbohydrates and taking tons of synthetic insulin - for a few months, and gaining back a good 50 lbs, the Paleo diet entered into my life. For the last couple months I've been noticing a spike in my energy levels, I feel fuller, I eat a ton of fat and meat (doesn't make the docs too happy), most importantly: I can eat meals without injecting anything into my stomach. It's nice to feel normal sometimes.

A week or so ago, I stumbled onto Nerd Fitness, and it happened to be exactly the kind of thing I needed to hear. Solid, fact-based advice that doesn't buy into the same crap we've all been fed. I like it, and I only have a few people in my life that are willing to support my alternative endeavors, so here I am. Sorry about the text-walling - I'm a big talker.

I hope I can offer as much support to anyone as possible here, as well, on my own journey to Level 50. Thanks!

Don't write a check with your mouth you can't cash with your ass

Welcome to the Rebellion! Sounds like this place will be a great fit for you. I know it can be tough to get loved ones and doctors on board with what's viewed as an alternative diet, but just keep pushing the fact that you are feeling tons better; it's increasingly hard to argue against something that's making a sick person healthier. My brother has Crohn's, and when he first went paleo, I was skeptical, but he's been on it for over a year and a half without a hospitalization (after being hospitalized three times in the year before he made the switch), which is a pretty great indicator for me that he's doing something right.

Best of luck!

Welcome to the Rebellion! Paleo seems to be a good choice for diabetics, as you will usually avoid blood sugar spikes due to the lack of processed sugars and grains (which convert to simple sugars). I know there are a lot of people on the forums on Marks Daily Apple that have had incredible results controlling their diabetes following this lifestyle. Let us know how we can help.