Forums are back in action! ×

Got cardio, need strength

My current challenge is that I work at a desk job after 4 years of a very active job, and I moved cross country, away from the friends I usually hiked and biked with. With the active job, I got enough exercise over the course of the week that if I wanted to go out and hike 5-10 miles on the weekend, I could do it without any other planned exercise all week.

Now I'm working on getting into an actual exercise routine, because I'm down to 3-5 mile hikes being a challenge, and I'm not willing to live with that.

I love hiking, bike rides, and kayaking when I can borrow a boat. I'm trying out running right now, because I can do it right out my door in the morning, and I no longer live someplace where I've got 3 or 4 good, long hikes within a 2 mile drive.

I want to start doing some strength training. I found this site looking for information on how to start. Most sites just say Do These Exercises (often requiring a fair amount of equipment). Being a nerd, I like knowing the why, and having well thought out, clearly explained options. This site appeals.

While my most important goal is to get into better shape, I also want to lose some weight. I was not quite overweight throughout my twenties, then suddenly gained 15 pounds between 28 and 30. I started exercising more and being a little more careful what I ate, and the weight gain slowed way down again, but it took me two more years to start losing any. I'm about where I was 4 years ago, but I want to drop another 10-15 pounds.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017