Forums are back in action! ×

It's been almost a decade since the last time I participated in any online community, and that was definitely as a mod for a Legend of Zelda fan site, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my fitness aspirations led me here!

I'm 25 years old, 5'5 and 125lbs currently. Fabulous, right? Problem is, I have trouble believing so. After losing 30lbs 3 years ago through a combination of too much cardio and not enough food, I've been working hard to rewire my brain into getting healthy and fit, which has led me to improve greatly over the last two years. The issue is, the body image problems I've dragged around with me that I assumed would disappear "when I got skinny" simply didn't.

So now I make efforts to eat healthy, and enough, and push my body to make itself stronger every day.

So why I am here, you ask?

My motivation is totally flagging. I need to still change my mindset and be able to call myself beautiful. And I want to share the few things I have learned with those of you that are struggling through things I did, or still struggle with.

In my real life, I'm a professional musician (mezzo-soprano) and vocal coach, and I need my body to work for as long as it can to do my job. I love singing more than anything else, and I'm afraid of what my obsession with the scale will do to my ability to sing.

I promise I'm usually not so melodramatic, but I guess it's hard to be chirpy about this stuff. I solemnly swear to be a totally annoying basket full of sunshine from now on!

Cheers everyone! Looking forward to getting to know all of you fine folks!

Hey, your level of melodrama is totally fine.

I get the body-image issues. I went from 310lbs to 185lbs (which for me is fairly fit), and I still felt fat and unattractive. It's great that you recognize this is a problem and that you're working on addressing it. Coming to terms with our bodies—including all the things they are and are not—can be a difficult process. Hopefully you and I can both learn how to appreciate our bodies and use them for the right reasons and with the right level of joy flooding in. And using them right means a bit of everything, doesn't it? Food and exercise and fun and self-appreciation. It's all part of it.

Glad to have you in our team of heroes.

Druid | My Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl anymore, you find someone to carry you."

I get the body-image issues. I went from 310lbs to 185lbs (which for me is fairly fit), and I still felt fat and unattractive. It's great that you recognize this is a problem and that you're working on addressing it. Coming to terms with our bodies—including all the things they are and are not—can be a difficult process. Hopefully you and I can both learn how to appreciate our bodies and use them for the right reasons and with the right level of joy flooding in. And using them right means a bit of everything, doesn't it? Food and exercise and fun and self-appreciation. It's all part of it.

I just wanted to say how incredible your transformation is - 310lbs to 185?!? That's amazing! We'll both get there, it's just a hard road with no clear path sometimes. Thanks for the welcome!

Your keen insight and self-awareness make me feel pretty darn certain you'll figure it out and overcome the last leg of this challenge. Even though the info I'm about to link you to was originally created to help women battle addiction, I think the statements are great positive affirmations, and help encourage self-love. 

http://www.womenforsobriety.org/wfs_program.html

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes."

--Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"

The blog of my journey to a better self: http://be-large-contain-multitudes.tumblr.com

The blog of my other random stuff: http://fever-moon.tumblr.com