Forums are back in action! ×

Drinking (non-protein shake) Calories

If one is trying to eat more calories to put on muscle, what is the rule of thumb for drinks like wine or beer? Should I just not count those calories towards my daily count? Or do they count but won't do so much for gaining muscle mass?

I searched but couldn't find similar questions.

YES they do count! No, they won't help you build muscle.

I can speak for beer, because that's what I drink. Much of the same applies to wine, but (I think) wine is typically slightly lower in calories, higher alcohol, and lower sugar than beer. Beer has a ton of calories if you're eating a normal maintenance diet (2000ish daily calories), but one beer is fairly insignificant if you're eating big to bulk up, which should be way over 2,000 daily.

One beer has anywhere from 150 to 300 calories. Your typical American style lagers are about 4.5% alcohol and have almost exactly 150 calories, regardless of brand--Budweiser, MGD, Coors, PBR, etc. Light (low-cal light, as in Miller Lite, or low-carb beers) have 60-100 calories. Craft beers usually have 300 or more calories (in a 12oz or pint) because they're generally higher in both sugar and alcohol. Counter-intuitively, dark beers (stouts, brown ales) are generally lowest in calories and sugar, and lighter ales (English bitters, IPAs, etc) are the highest. The difference, on average, isn't huge, but of course there are extremes on both ends. ALL of the calories in any beer are from sugar and alcohol only, so they are not going to help at all for building muscle. If you want to get really cut, beer is not an option, even in moderation. Also alcohol in excess messes with your water balance, metabolism, and recovery time, (not to mention psychological and chemical effects) so it's best not to overindulge, ever, regardless of your fitness goals.

My personal rule is average no more than one drink a day. That means some days I don't drink, some days I have one or two. Never more than two at a time. I have about 3-5 beers a week. I drink good beer.

ALL of the calories in any beer are from sugar and alcohol only, so they are not going to help at all for building muscle.

I agree generally with your points except this one. Unfiltered craft beers from a local brewery contain a lot of carbs in the form of starches, spent yeast etc. as well as the sugars and alcohol. Beer was originally a way to store grain and a cask conditioned or unfiltered version will have much the same stuff in it as whole grain barley bread.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Oogie, is it enough starches to make a significant difference in the calorie balance? I was speaking for the most commonly available beers, craft beers available at the grocery, not necessarily small scale local brews. Those are usually pretty refined. I would assume it must have some sustainable source of energy as beer has been used as a fasting drink (by choice or necessity) so many times and places in history. And that would only apply to unfiltered beers with a decent amount of sediment and suspended particles?

Oogie, is it enough starches to make a significant difference in the calorie balance?

Dusting off the decades old college chemistry class and animal science classes info, yes it is significant but I can't for the life of me remember many details other than between the detailed nutrition in a beer during chem lab plus the info on what a human needs to survive in Nutrition 101 our classes calculated that a person could survive on hamburgers with cheese and beer indefinitely. Remember beer was originally developed as a way to store grain for long periods of time so in very many ways good beer (unfiltered) is like drinking your daily bread. Even more so when you consider small beer and other historical versions. Also I'm talking the local homebrewed or really craft brewery stuff, all draft not bottles but perhaps brought home in a growler.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

yes, it absolutely does matter. the calories/nutrients should be treated as anything else you put in your body.

first, beer increases your estrogen.

second, its all sugar, simple carbs - not what you want for increasing muscle.

third, youre going to end up dehydrated. bad for recovery.

i could go on :)

no, im not saying don't ever drink, but dont think because youre trying to gain it doesn't matter. :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

first, beer increases your estrogen.

Not a bad thing at my age, saves me from having to take estrogen pills and was actually suggested instead of soy products. Estrogen is not all bad for you.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Not a bad thing at my age, saves me from having to take estrogen pills and was actually suggested instead of soy products. Estrogen is not all bad for you.

hahah no, im not saying estrogen is bad for you, but if youre trying to gain a bunch of muscle you dont want your estrogen levels increased :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”