Forums are back in action! ×

Just Getting Started!

Well hello fellow nerds! I stumbled across this blog and became immediately interested. How cool is it that theres a place out there for people who are new to the workout scene and don't know where to start!

A little bit about myself.. I'm 26, about 5'5'' and rapidly approaching 200 lbs .. I can't believe I just said that out loud *kind of* Most of my life I remained pretty active and my weight was in check. Last year however, I had some pretty significant health challenges. I suffer from severe stress induced migraines and was also diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). In Feb of 2013 I had a cyst grow on my ovary that was 5x6 centimetres. Combine that with the migraines and I was totally out of commission. I got depressed, and like a lot of people, that led to me becoming dormant, eating bad food, and gaining a significant amount of weight.

In July 2013, I woke up from my mental coma.. I ran out of percocet and decided WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!?! That's when I took the leap to get to the gym and get myself a trainer. I really needed help.

I'm 3 weeks in to my journey at this point, and it's going really well so far. Every week I've been changing my diet a little more and working out harder. I'm up to 4 days a week for an hour at the gym. 3x with my trainer doing mostly weights and 1x in a 1 hr spin class.. I can still feel the seat in my ass several days later lol.

Although so far so good, I know myself. I'm here for 2 reasons: #1 I feel as though this journey is going to be long and filled with speedbumps that I might need help getting over and #2 one of my favourite things in life is to motivate other people to do their best and succeed (It's the manager in me).

My goal: 40lb weight loss plus 15 lbs of current fat turned into muscle. Can I do it?! I'd love to hear back from others who are further along in the journey. Any pointers, tips, motivational quotes etc would be well received.

Oh and while I'm here I should share some nerdy things about myself.. I played saxophone for 10 years, and was in marching band.. and sorta loved it! I don't know anything about Star Trek/Wars but my boyfriend sure does, and so does everyone in my family.. I feel like an honorary nerd because I'm surrounded by them and I love them with my whole heart.

Cheers! happy to be here.

-Samantha

Samantha @10000squats

Welcome to the community!

Sounds like you've made a fantastic start to your journey already - a successful 3 weeks. 

I'm just starting out too and can't wait to be part of community that helps and supports each other so much.

Good luck!

SkullHands - Level 0 Shape-Shifter

[sTR 0] [DEX 0] [sTA 0] [CON 0] [WIS 0] [CHA 0]

FitBit Profile | Zombies, Run! | Epic Quest: TBC

First Challenge: Shape-shifting 101

Accountibilibuddies: The First Timers

You're in the right place for a lot of support, that's for sure! 

The hardest part is starting, and you're already through that! Just remember that training like a beast also means you'll need to eat like one - I know my diet was the last thing I fixed and I didn't realize what a HUGE hinderance it was to my weight loss until much later than I should have. Just make sure you feed yourself well, and enough! (The other typical female mistake - we always seem to think we're eating too much when we eat a good amount.)

You have a really great goal set out for yourself and I know working with a trainer is a great motivation - that's how my husband lost about 60lbs a few years ago. The added benefit being that his trainer ended up being a good friend - he was his groomsman in our wedding this past June!

All the best to you and feel free to drop a line if you ever need advice or just a person to rant to - I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure I've learned a few things out of my trial-and-error experience! :)