Forums are back in action! ×

Throwing my hat into the ring

Hello all,

My name is Jesse, and I need to get in better shape ("Hello, Jesse...").

I'm a software developer from Portland, OR. Physically, I'm in okay shape already: I still have a little muscle left over from High School (which surprises me after 11 years), and I'm a decent runner, but there's always room for improvement, and there are definitely other areas where I'm lacking.

My wife of 7 years (and two children) and I are beginning the process of divorce, and I just got laid off at work. I'm now jobless, loveless, and homeless (staying with a friend currently), and, if we're being honest, keeping depression in check. I need to take back control of my life, and I need to feel good about myself again.

I'm hard at work on the job hunt, so fingers crossed that will be resolved soon. Other than that, I'm determined to make at least one of my life changes this year be a positive one, so I've resolved to get into better physical shape.

To use Steve's race/class metaphors, I'm a half-elf, and my target class is assassin/monk. I'm the type of nerd who gets skinny when he stops trying, so It's more difficult to keep on muscle than it is to lose fat. That said, I have no idea what my BMI is, but I'm pretty sure it's higher than I'd like it to be. I weigh around 165 right now, and I'd like to add about 15 pounds of muscle. I'd also like to be able to keep up with the young kids when I go out and run parkour, and get injured less often :)

I've started the workout portion already, and once I'm in a position to buy my own food, I'd like to go about 90/10 paleo for my diet. Once I get a job (and move to wherever it is), I'll also probably have to tweak my workout, since it's location-based right now.

Here we go!