Forums are back in action! ×

Helping kids level up too.

We have all been there. We got ourselves a high level raid geared bad ass of an MMO character and we finally convinced our friend to join up. Problem is he starts all the way down at level one. We know he needs our help navigating this treacherous world so do we leave him until he gets on our level. Hell no we party up fly into that low level area and smash our mailed Gauntlet right through the back of the head of some lame goblin gently leading the way and helping our friend get up to the top. Well six months ago I did just that. Six months ago I got a little brother. He is nine years old and from Puerto Rico. Obviously we are not blood related but that does not matter to either of us. I joined Big Bothers Big Sisters on a whim because ever since high school i have loved volunteering. I have worked in soup kitchens and animal shelters. I have hung out with old people and walked for a number of diseases but this is by far the most rewarding program I have ever been a part of.

The problem with the program is that there is a severe lack of male role models. In my area there are twelve girls that need big sisters but over three hundred boys that need big brothers. Most of you guys are here to make yourselves better. To level up your lives. Don't get me wrong I love lifting heavy shit as much as the next guy but the best way to really push your self to the next level is to help someone else while they are trying to make there way by themselves. Obviously it's not for everyone but from what I can see from this community so far there could be a lot of little kids getting helped in a big way.

Sorry if this seems like an advertisement I just know what an awesome feeling doing something so positive brings and I'm hoping to share that feeling with some more people.

That is pretty awesome of you.  I have my own little boy (age 5) but I'm trying to also take an interest in my little siblings.  My one sister is age 16 and super struggling with boys and lameness and I'm trying to help her see BEYOND boys, you know?  :-)  

Anyway, you have a great idea here and I'm glad you posted this.  In any case, keep playing with your little 'bro.'  He will remember it for the rest of his life and probably appreciate it more than you will ever know.  

Good for you for doing this - I meet a lot of kids in these kinds of circumstances with some of my work through the year, and I know how much a positive role model can mean to them, especially for the boys. I think if there is any cause there should be zero guilt in "advertising", this would be it. I think the way the media has gone lately we need more than ever to help our boys grow up into the right kind of men.

All kids needs someone to look up to. In a perfect world it would be mom and dad but that's not always possible. It's possible that I will have no effect but its possible I could change his life. Not just this one program but any form of giving back is so awesome an rewarding. Some of the coolest people I have ever known lived In A retirement home I use to visit when I was in high school. Once a year me and some people I know to buy a bunch of stuff like shampoo and soap and lotion and water and hand them out to homeless people at the shelter. Some of them couldn't care less honestly but some of them are so grateful it just about knocks you out all the positive energy.