Forums are back in action! ×

My name is Megan.  I'm 25 and I have decided to take control of my lifestyle.

I'm 5'7" and the tallest girl in my family, the rest being 5'2" and under and they're all thin as rails except me and my sister.  I am 220lbs and I've struggled with my weight since I was a child.  Exercising never came easy for me when I was younger because I had asthma.  It's gotten much better as I got older.  My main problem isn't so much doing it as getting caught doing it.  My family isn't very supportive of me and make fun of me when I try to work out and it leaves me discouraged and unmotivated.  They used to moo at me and call me to dinner by yelling "SUEY!" and whenever they catch me trying to eat healthy and exercise they poke even more fun at me.  I've tried many diets, and even Medical Weight Loss didn't help because it was more of a "you must lose this much this week or we're charging you more" sort of thing.  

I found Nerd Fitness by looking up ways to learn parkour.  I've been playing Assassin's Creed for the first time and I was searching for beginner's parkour videos when I stumbled upon Steve's articles on the subject.  Going through the site, I was pleasantly surprised.  I felt inspired for the first time in a while about getting my health back in order.  With the added bonus of having a supportive community that want me to succeed rather than not so I can spend more money on them, and I get to satisfy my need to LARP by becoming the superhero inside me.

As for my interests, I play video games, as referenced by my mention of AC earlier.  I play music (trumpet, beginner at guitar and piano).  I draw a lot, mostly anime style and I paint landscapes in watercolour to help me relax. I play a lot of MMORPGs, my favourite being WoW.  Sadly my subscription is up until I can get employed again, so I'm playing Neverwinter instead which I also love.  I like to fish and I have an obsession with archery that I want to learn within the next 5 years.

My plan is to start by altering my diet to lean towards Paleo as much as I can without disturbing the rest of my family.  This shouldn't be an issue once I get a mini fridge for my bedroom.  I also want to begin Beginner's training for Parkour, outlined in Steve's guide and work my way up starting from there.  I currently don't do any exercising, but I want to change that along with getting rid of my high fast food diet.  

I look forward to meeting all of you, participating in my first challenge (of many), and doing my best to becoming an Assassin myself~

L2 Human Assassin

Con 3/Str 2/Wis 2/Dex 4/Int 2/Cha 1

Current Challenge: 

PVP Challenge: 1

Past Challenges: 1

Sounds like you have some good first steps. Getting rid of the fast food and sugary drinks might seem like small things but they do help a lot. It sucks when you don't have somebody to support you but you can use that as motivation as well to show them your going to be a better you whether they like it or not. I dont know how the living/cooking situation is in your household but for me after about 15-16 I was usually cooking my own food unless there was a family dinner. Just depended what was going on that day. When it comes to me and my girl when we were alternating between who was dieting how (not the way to go) we ended up cooking two completely different meals at the same time. Small substitutions lead to big results. I started with switching greek yogurt for a lot of things. something called for mayo or sour cream in a recipe Id throw some greek yogurt in it instead. Dips for veggies became greek yogurt and some sort of spices depending on the dip. And then its smaller portions. Thats the hard one especially if you have a favorite food.

Hi Megan! Your struggle is all too familiar for me. My family is similar. My mom and I are the only ones who are overweight and we've both bounced from diet to diet since I was a kid. I know what it's like to be comparing yourself to thinner family members and wonder "Why me?". But I truly believe everything happens for a reason and the people who go through the toughest stuff always end up being the coolest individuals I've ever met. Keep your head up! I'm new too and already feel like I made a great decision my seeking the support of the NF community. We can do this. :)

Thank you so much for the support hooligan and Nicki. It really, truly means a lot to me.  I teared up when I first read your replies.  I'm not used to actually being responded to on forums ^^;

@hooligan: I love greek yogurt and veggies by themselves.  I never thought to make the yogurt into any sort of dip.  I'll definitely have to try it ^_^

@Nicki:  That's what I've always thought to myself as well.  If I hadn't been teased, I feel that I would be a much meaner person, the way my mother wants me to be.  Right now it seems like her goal is to change my personality to be more like her.  She told me that herself sadly.  However I have my own agenda and it doesn't include that.

Actually, my agenda today is to finish planning my 6 week challenge so I can post and get started, now that my room is clean. We had to flea bomb yesterday.  My poor babies didn't have a nice time.

L2 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: 

Interestingly enough, I found the rebellion the same way you did: researching parkour, and it's only been a few days since discovering the article. I'm really new to the community, too, but I'm here for you and to help support you as an assassin-in-training, hehe.

Edward the Satyr 

Assassin-in-Training

Level 1

"Bad things happen to good people because they have the most to gain from them."

STR: 2|DEX: 2|STA: 1|CON: 3|WIS: 4|CHA: 3

I found my best motivation was...

Q: See that fat guy walking?

A: Yes

Q: What do you think?

A: He is lapping every other slug inside playing video games!

Any start is a great start.

Drop sugar - first thing, then stop eating junk.

It is very simple - simple is good.

Is is hard work - yes - and YOU are WORTH it! and nobody else can do it for you!

Thank you so much for the support hooligan and Nicki. It really, truly means a lot to me.  I teared up when I first read your replies.  I'm not used to actually being responded to on forums ^^;

@hooligan: I love greek yogurt and veggies by themselves.  I never thought to make the yogurt into any sort of dip.  I'll definitely have to try it ^_^

@Nicki:  That's what I've always thought to myself as well.  If I hadn't been teased, I feel that I would be a much meaner person, the way my mother wants me to be.  Right now it seems like her goal is to change my personality to be more like her.  She told me that herself sadly.  However I have my own agenda and it doesn't include that.

Actually, my agenda today is to finish planning my 6 week challenge so I can post and get started, now that my room is clean. We had to flea bomb yesterday.  My poor babies didn't have a nice time.

My dear, being you is quite enough! Some people will never be pleased, including your own family. All you can do is let them figure out their own issues without taking it personally when your mom wishes you were some way or another. But it sounds to me like you already know that! My mom isn't necessarily supportive either. I bought a juicer for my birthday this weekend and instead of noting that I'm making a healthy lifestyle change she was more concerned about the counter space it would be taking up. -_-

What kind of animals do you have?

Interestingly enough, I found the rebellion the same way you did: researching parkour, and it's only been a few days since discovering the article. I'm really new to the community, too, but I'm here for you and to help support you as an assassin-in-training, hehe.

Dude that's awesome :D  It's like we can be assassin novices together haha Keep each other motivated and such ^_^ Have you decided what you're going to start with?  I have a lot I want to do but I don't want to overwhelm myself with too many changes starting off.

My dear, being you is quite enough! Some people will never be pleased, including your own family. All you can do is let them figure out their own issues without taking it personally when your mom wishes you were some way or another. But it sounds to me like you already know that! My mom isn't necessarily supportive either. I bought a juicer for my birthday this weekend and instead of noting that I'm making a healthy lifestyle change she was more concerned about the counter space it would be taking up. -_-

What kind of animals do you have?

I had that problem with a blender when I bought one to make fruit smoothies at my old room mate's house.  She complained that I bought it and then used it more than I did, and stole it when I moved ^^;

I have two cats. A female torti named Rosette, and a black male named Nero.  I don't have any pictures of Nero, he doesn't photograph well, but here is one of Rosie. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/bakurafan88/IMG_20121207_015751_zps19820d7e.jpg

They're my babies.

In the house total though we have 5 cats, 1 dog and a parakeet.  

L2 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: 

I'm trying to start small, as well. My main focus right now isn't parkour itself, but getting in shape enough to do so. So I started doing body weight exercises today, while I'm going to ease my way into the paleo diet. Due to the fact my family doesn't buy anything suitable for that lifestyle, I have to suck it up for a little while. What about you?

Edward the Satyr 

Assassin-in-Training

Level 1

"Bad things happen to good people because they have the most to gain from them."

I'm trying to start small, as well. My main focus right now isn't parkour itself, but getting in shape enough to do so. So I started doing body weight exercises today, while I'm going to ease my way into the paleo diet. Due to the fact my family doesn't buy anything suitable for that lifestyle, I have to suck it up for a little while. What about you?

Same here.  I am currently unemployed so my only source of income is by donating plasma.  But if I spend it right I can support myself with that.  (My 'rents only make me pay 75 to rent my room so that's not too bad. Something good they've done for me)

I'm pretty flexible, so I want to start doing yoga again on my own now that I have the space in my room to do it. And I'm going to try to strengthen my boody overall.  Can't pull myself up on a wall if I can only lift my own weight in an emergency haha 

I also just finished my last cigarette.  I'm a stress smoker and it's bad for my health.  I'll be staying hidden for a while while I'm craving them.  I only feel the need when I'm getting irritated and I do better going cold turkey than being on any patches or gum.  

L2 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: 

Me too (the unemployed bit). There's no plasma center nearby or I'd be on top of that, though! I don't drive, live with my mother, and I'm unemployed. I have my own room at least, so I can get away and do some things (exercise, meditating, etc.) in peace. Once I get a job I plan on buying my own food and cooking for myself, which I'm pretty good at doing, not to toot my own horn.

I know someone who smokes to relieve stress every now and then, and then quits cold turkey for a while. The positive thing is that you ARE at least taking breaks so your body can recover, instead of smoking consistently.

Edward the Satyr 

Assassin-in-Training

Level 1

I've smoked for about a year.  It's early enough to where I'm not dependent on it.  Sadly there's 3 other smokers in the house, but I know I can do it. <3 I don't plan to quit for a while.  I plan to quit permanently. 

I love cooking too.  I just don't get to do it very often. You should be proud if you're good at it.  I burn half the things i touch but I still enjoy doing it.  Made some pretty good pork chops with my mom tonight though so I was pleased I got to go near the stove XD

L2 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: 

Lots of good spice combinations you can come up with. I like ranch type seasoning and or a cumin garlic, chili powder mix. I had to flea bomb my old apartment 3 times to get rid of my flea problem. It was not pleasant. Hopefully you did not have to do it that many times.